[guide.chat] poor braille

  • From: "Hazel & Kim Darvell" <darvell206@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 12:23:53 +0100

I am a very slow and poor grade 1 braille reader and only wanted to learn for
the purpose of labelling  cd's and books and just things around the house.
We are all aware of the d d a enforcement's  so when over the last few months
my medication had braille on them I was glad, but that feeling ran out very
quickly when I realised that the braille although on the box giving the name
and strength  of the medication  was so poor I was unable to read it correctly.
The braille was so squashed on every pack I have received and in most cases was
not worth having.
I recently called the r n i b x pill line to get some info from the leaflet
inside but the auto line asked me for the p l c code on the box, this I could
not give them, so spoke to someone who said I must have some sort of sighted
help, the simple fact is that not all of us do have that help.
I then phoned n h s direct gave them the name and strength  of the tablets and
they gave me the info I wanted, now if they can give this without the p l c
code why can't the r n i b when I challenged them they said they had to operate
within regulation guidelines so I told them n h s direct gave me the details
without this code, they said they would take this back to management and review
the situation.
my point is that the r n i b should be acting for people like us who have no or
very poor vision and less for the partially sighted..

Hazel

I Will Survive