[guide.chat] news tornado town completely gone

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 09:09:52 -0000

8:06AM GMT 03 Mar 2012
US tornadoes: 'The town is completely gone' says sheriff as 24 killed in storms
A devastating wave of tornadoes swept across the American mid-West and South on
Friday, killing at least 24 people, injuring hundreds and flattening two towns.
Debris litters the front of the Henryville Middle School which received
extensive damage from storms that rolled through the area.
The powerful storm system stretched from the US Gulf Coast to the Great Lakes
in the north, in the second deadly tornado outbreak in a week.
In the state of Indiana, where the death toll stood at 14 at midnight on
Friday, the small town of Marysville was levelled and nearby Henryville also
suffered heavy damage.
"Marysville is completely gone," said Maj Chuck Adams, the county sheriff.
Aerial footage from a TV news helicopter flying over Henryville showed wrecked
houses and a mangled school bus protruding from the side of a one-story
building overturned trailers.
In the birthplace of Kentucky Fried Chicken founder Col Harland Sanders the
high school was destroyed and the second floor had been ripped off the middle
school next door.
The outbreak comes two days after an earlier round of storms killed 13 people
in the Midwest and South.
"It just hit all at once," said Blaine Lawson, 76, in Cleveland, Tennessee.
"Didn't have no warning really. The roof, insulation and everything started
coming down on us. It just happened so fast that I didn't know what to do. I
was going to head to the closet but there was just no way. It just got us."
The storm system was so wide that an estimated 34 million people were at risk
of severe weather, according to the National Weather Service regional office.
"Then the gates of hell opened up," an emergency services call dispatcher told
The New York Times.
In Indiana, Gov Mitch Daniels said that workers were desperately searching
through rubble in search of anyone trapped, adding, "our people are racing the
nightfall".
The town of Marysville, home to 2,000 people, was reported to be nearly
flattened.
"We've had a few tornadoes come through the area, but this is the worst one
we've seen," said Maj Adams, who has lived in the area for 30 years.
Harold Brooks, a research meteorologist at the National Severe Storms
Laboratory, said that the tornado storm was caused by a warm, moist and
unseasonable air mass that was mixed with colder air far to the north.

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123