[guide.chat] news blackpool covered in foam from sea

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 10:57:05 -0000

Mystery over Blackpool bubbles as promenade is awash with foam
Blackpool residents have been left baffled by a mysterious foamy substance
which has blown in from the sea, carpeting a number of roads.
Foam from the sea in Blackpool has covered the promenade at Cleveleys Foam from
the sea in Blackpool has covered the promenade at Cleveleys (Picture: Cavendish)

The foam is piled several feet high in areas closest to the sea, making driving
conditions particularly treacherous.

Locals have expressed worries that the phenomenon is caused by polluting
detergents, and said it is forcing people to stay at home.

But environmental experts have allayed their fears and suggested the foam could
be the result of waves churning decomposing algal matter.

An Environment Agency spokesperson said: 'We have taken samples of the foam as
obviously if this is caused by any kind of polluting material, we need to know
about it.

'Early samples are not showing any trace of detergent so we think it could be
the combination of decomposing algal matter churned with the tide and the
westerly wind which is causing the foam.

It is not the first time the area has been awash with the foam, which came in
from the sea like a snow blizzard following recent winds of up to 90mph.

'We know it happens occasionally and can disappear again quite quickly so we
will be looking further into what triggers it,' said the spokesperson.

    Brianjustme
    Maybe it has something to do with this: It is "highly probable" that shale
gas test drilling triggered earth tremors in Lancashire, a study has found. But
the report, commissioned by energy firm Cuadrilla, also said the quakes were
due to an "unusual combination of geology at the well site"................
Courtesy of the bbc

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123