[guide.chat] linda's one arm

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:04:54 +0100

Linda has good tips on here and also link too, read the following.

Linda's One Arm Web Site

My name is Linda Hughes, a 68-year old grandmother of four, married 48 years to
my high school sweetheart! Twelve years ago I had a forequarter amputation of
my right arm (I was previously right-handed) due to recurrent tumor in my
deltoid muscle. Since then I have had a few people ask how I function in a
two-handed world and this web site is an attempt to help explain how I get
along and possibly help someone else in the process. Living with one arm hasn't
been as difficult as I once thought it would be, but it doesn't come without
some frustrating moments.

These are a few of my favorite things:

1. Bag sealers are plastic clamp closures for bread, chips, etc. made by
Twixit. For example, they replace the plastic or wire closure that is on the
end of a loaf of bread. They come in several sizes, but I prefer the larger
ones because they are easier for me to handle. I have purchased bag clips
on-line, from a local kitchen shop and at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

2. I use a small soft bath sponge (from Allegro Medical) to wash my underarm,
it is very helpful. I chose the hourglass shaped one.

3. I use these rubberized squares to keep things from slipping on any surface.
They can be found at many hardware stores, kitchen shops or a lifetime supply
at Costco. I use them in every room and have pieces of it all over our home, in
my car, and I travel with it too. It's the same idea as having suction cups
underneath whatever you're doing. It's great for opening lids, etc. (e.g., put
one piece under the jar and open the lid with another piece and you'll be
amazed how it works). It is the single most thing I use. I buy it in one big
roll and cut it up to any size I need.

There is also a similar product called Dycem that is very good, but it's more
expensive than the non-skid rubberized squares. I have a couple small pieces of
Dycem and tons of the rubberized squares. They are both helpful.

4. My cutting board (from Independent Needs) has a corner with a raised edge
around it to secure my toast for buttering. It also has two stainless steel
nails sticking up on it, so, for instance, I can put an apple on it and the
nails hold it securely while I cut the apple, preventing it from moving all
over the cutting board.

I have a one arm friend, Robert, that has another type of cutting board (RFSU
Fix - catalog) that he absolutely loves and he says he uses it everyday. He
said if he could only have one item, this would be it! For example, Robert says
he can slice bread and vegetables, open jars, stir batter, peel potatoes, open
cans of paint, etc., etc.

5. My husband and I both love using our cordless, one-handed can opener from
OneTouch. I just place the opener on top of the can, press the black button and
watch it go around and whalaa! Remove the lid carefully because of the razor
sharp edges on top of the can.

6. I use a Kitchen Aid mixer that is wonderful (it is stationary)---I can make
cookies all by myself! I discovered you could buy Crisco in cubes, like butter,
so that it is so easy to use and works great. I use a scooper (kind of like an
ice-cream scoop) that you squeeze and the dough just pops out beautifully on to
the cookie sheet. I got the scooper (size #30) at a kitchen shop for $14, but I
thought it was worth it, in order to make my own cookies! So did my husband.
The mixer works well for blending meat loaf too.

7. I use a cheese slicer mounted on a board - one hand can operate it quite
well.

8. A clipboard is good for writing note cards, journaling etc. anything you
have trouble holding open, because it secures it well. Mine is plastic and I
like it because it's lightweight.

9. At Barnes & Noble I found a weighted leather strap that holds open the pages
of my checkbook, my journal or whatever I'm reading or writing - handy item.
Barb, my one arm friend, uses these homemade weights to hold her note cards in
place while she paints her floral designs. I use them for writing note cards
and other projects. They are great when you just need something to hold your
work in place.

10. On pants that have a zipper and button on top, like jeans, I had a
seamstress sew in velcro at the closing on the top, and then she sewed the
button permanently on the front, so it's very normal looking. I am getting to
where buttoning isn't as difficult as it once was, so I use velcro only
occasionally now.

11. For flossing: I use a "Glide Floss Holder" because it is easily used with
one hand. I have several and my husband re-threads them for me. They're great!
I also use Stim-u-dent, little toothpick type things that the dentist
recommended.

12. On my steering wheel I had a spinning knob installed, so I have a much
firmer grip on turns, it works great. The steering knob was purchased and
installed by a local company near Seattle, WA that specializes in handicap
driving devices. The following link looks a lot like mine. They also installed
turn signals and windshield wiper controls on the floor of my previous car. I
could operate them easily with my left foot.

13. I have a Bluetooth connection (purchased at Costco) on the visor of my car
should I need to talk ?hand-free?. When I'm on the telephone at home I will
often use the "speaker phone" option, so I can jot a note. There are a number
of ?hand free? devices you can choose from at HELLO DIRECT.

14. I used to use elastic squiggly ties in place of shoelaces---you can find
them at shoe repair places etc., but now I've learned to tie my own shoes from
Jenny Stemack's web site. Here's a video of me tying my shoes. (Mac users click
here and PC users click here).

15. Also from an old Smith and Nephew catalog (may not be available now), a
vice -type device that can hold a jar in place while you open the lid. You hold
it tight against the counter with your hip and you can use a rubberized square
for help in twisting if the lid is especially tight.

16. How I dry my hair - nine years ago my husband mounted my dryer on a tripod
and secured it with rubber tubing, so it is "hand free" hair drying. I also
have a curling iron/hair dryer that I use occasionally. But now you can buy a
hand free "hair drier stand" on the web.

17. I found that many of my favorite scissors wouldn't cut using my left hand,
so I was thankful when my husband found some Fiskars scissors that come in
several sizes (6 inch and 10 inch). I also bought a package of Fiskar kid's
scissors and they work great. I have them all over the house, in my car and I
travel with a pair. I use them every day to open numerous sealed items. They
all work easily with my left hand.

18. This is a swimsuit idea from Jenny, one of my one arm friends. It is made
of a stretchy sun-protective fabric. Jenny said she really likes wearing it
because it is more comfortable than the swimsuits she wore before her
amputation!

19. One awesome advantage of having one arm/hand is that I receive half-price
manicures, which I take advantage of once a week.
20. Pampered chef has a wonderful food chopper my husband and I both use to
chop veggies and onions for soup.

21. Cuisinart Mini-Prep is another alternative for one handed chopping. I can
operate this one a little easier because it is electrical whereas the pampered
chef is manually driven. Both are great tools for one hand.

22. Dave Dravecky's Outreach of Hope is a wonderful resource and extremely
helpful. It is a ministry of encouragement to those suffering from cancer or
amputation. I highly recommend Dave's books, Comeback and When You Can't Come
Back - very inspiring.

http://www.toysrbob.com/onearm/

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.