[guide.chat] episode 19 the adventures of Mary Jane

  • From: "Jenny Mock" <r.mock356@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat List" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 17:56:27 +0100

Brett received a letter from TSW telling us that the first part of the
programme would be filmed at Cleve House the guide dog training centre at
Exeter,they had booked us in at the Rugemont Hotel in Exeter for one night,
we duly went to the hotel first as instructed to leave our belongings there and
a taxi had been put on to take us to the training centre, being as we have no
children we had to borrow a child for the programme  she was called Diana and
was the daughter of one of the puppy walkers,
there was also another guide dog owner who was competing with us,he was Mike
with guide dog Ambie
when we got to the training centre we had to take our dogs to have their photo
taken as we were given a framed photo of our dog at the end of the programme,
first there was the maze with a bowl of food in the middle of it the idea was
for the dog to get through the maze as fast as he could and hope that it would
not be distracted by the food,at first TSW wanted to do away with the maze for
us but Lofty suggested that the dogs took their owners through the maze while
the husband or wife of the people taking part would call the dog from the exit
and hope they would get it right and go right through, well we gave it a trial
run and it worked perfectly so they decided to leave the maze there,
of course Brett being Collie Retriever    cross was very smart and got me
through the maze in 13 seconds,then it was Ambie's turn and he took 17 seconds
as he tried to look over the side and wasted time, then we had to go through an
obstacle  course
this we did in the pouring rain as the weather was awful that day,both guide
dogs had a clear run through the obstacles  because the colour for our team was
yellow I could not wear a raincoat as it would have been the wrong colour, but
Mike's team being blue he had a blue raincoat so did not get wet,when Brett and
I had finished they wrapped me into a blanket to warm me up and gave me a hot
drink,I had to go through the obstacles  quite a few times as Brett was such an
unusual dog colour wise they wanted to take lots of pictures of him, at the end
of the day we went back to the hotel and they were still filming other
families'  that were taking part in the series, after we got back home we were
told we would be informed when they were going to do the second part of the
programme,but we had to sign a paper to say we would not tell any one the
outcome of the programme after filming as they didn't know then when they were
going to show it,
a month later we went down to Plymouth to the TSW studio's to do the second
part of the programme which was questions plus a couple of tests done by the
vet,we had been booked into the Copthorn hotel for a couple of nights,as the
first day was just a practice run,the next day it was for real,we had to have
make up done and our hair done before we went before the camera's  I was very
nervous but all went well and Brett didn't let me down when we did the tests
for the vet,the outcome was that Brett won by 11 points but of course they gave
us £500 and the other team £500 so that made a thousand which would sponsor a
guide dog in those days, the fund raising manager came on at the end with his
dog and a guide dog puppy which TSW were sponsoring we also met the mystery
guest with his dogs he was Peter Purvis.
so a good day was had by all,
kind regards from Jenny Ray and  doggies skype name jenny.mock97