[guide.chat] cut backs labour will be ruthless

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 09:56:14 +0100

Labour will be 'ruthless' about cutting public spending, admits Ed Balls
Ed Balls, the shadow Chancellor, has backed the need for austerity, admitting
that Labour will be 'ruthless' about cutting public spending beyond 2015.

Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls Photo: CLARA MOLDEN
By Rowena Mason, Political Correspondent9:15AM BST 28 Sep 2012
Labour will be "ruthless" about cutting public spending if it wins the next
election, Ed Balls, the shadow Chancellor, has said.
Despite criticising the Coalition for cutting too far and fast, Mr Balls said
he would examine and question every line of expenditure.
Mr Balls' pledge comes after Nick Clegg, the Lib Dem leader, threw his weight
behind "further belt-tightening" beyond the next election. This means all three
parties have admitted the need for some degree of austerity beyond 2015.
RELATED ARTICLES
Miliband?s mischief 27 Sep 2012
Alan Johnson: Ed Miliband must do more to show he can be PM 27 Sep 2012
Miliband: I support gay marriage in church 27 Sep 2012
Clegg must make a Left turn to save the Lib Dems 25 Sep 2012
"The public want to know that we are going to be ruthless and disciplined in
how we go about public spending," Mr Balls said in a newspaper interview.
"For a Labour government in 2015, it is quite right, and the public I think
would expect this, to have a proper zero-based spending review where we say we
have to justify every penny and make sure we are spending in the right way."
In a dig at David Cameron, he said not even the £12 billion foreign aid budget
would be exempt from scrutiny. The Prime Minister has been criticised by
backbenchers for letting hundreds of millions of pounds in overseas aid go to
consultancies.
The shadow chancellor said there would some commitments on spending and
taxation in the party's manifesto but it would be more difficult to make
decisions set in stone.
Mr Balls' language is likely to antagonise the unions and has already put him
slightly at odds with Harriet Harman, the deputy Labour leader.
She told The Spectator that Labour would not be "signing up" to the kind of
spending cuts seen in the Coalition.
"Our argument against the Tories is that the scale and pace of their deficit
reduction is self-defeating and hurting the economy and therefore making less
money available," she said. "So we have got a fundamental economic critique ?
we would not be signing up to doing the very thing we think is hurting the
economy."

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123