[guide.chat] chapter fourteen in myserious ways

  • From: vanessa <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 23:33:59 -0000

                                            IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS

                                                            Chapter 14

Spring had come fully.  Clumps of golden daffodils flowered everywhere in the
grounds, and the bushes and trees had opened their buds, revealing new leaves
and delicate flowers.  It was so beautiful, this awakening of nature.  In my
life, something similar was happening too.  Not because of the letters that
came regularly now, and not because of the kiss.  Perhaps there was a
connection, but instead of being the cause, they were just signs - signs I was
changing.  I was healing at last, and coming to life again too.

I was beginning to enjoy everything more again - even our visitors could be of
interest - at least now and again - though nothing much changed on that score.
They still came, and some men stayed long enough to ask the question, so Mrs
Ashworth could answer appropriately, and count another no.  She had already
reached the number twenty-three this year - and it was only March.

Everything at the Manor seemed to have settled down, giving us more time to
relax.  No other paying guests arrived and nothing much happened as far as
spooks were concerned.  Even the bolt was not opened as often.  We didn't tell
Mrs Ashworth anymore, unless she asked.  Ilse and I had come to the conclusion
that either we had a ghost, or it was Jane, after all.  In any case, nothing
terrible had happened, so it was best to ignore it.  The fear, Mrs P was behind
it all, had diminished.  Perhaps it had been her, playing the ghost, wanting to
frighten Jane and to make her feel insecure.  If this was the case she had
succeeded and could stop now.  As if to prove this theory, during the next two
weeks the door was unbolted just once - and perhaps we did forget on this one
occasion, so we told ourselves and each other.

Mrs Ashworth seemed to relax too.  She saw a way out of her precarious
financial situation.  She would have more lodgers - I beg your pardon - they
were, of course, paying guests.

What didn't improve was the tension between Ilse and Jane; though now it was
mostly Ilse's doing, because she would not put up with anything anymore.  My
friend had enough, and she showed it.  She too had her pride - and she was
ready to go, anyway.

I stood fully behind Ilse, backing her all the way.  It was time to leave.  Our
English was quite good now, and the novelty of living at the Manor had worn
off.  I was ready to return home, in spite of Mama and Peter.  Anyway, he was
probably already back here in England somewhere.  Yes, I was ready to go, and
looked forward to Vienna, to my friends and my flat.  Mrs Ashworth would find a
new girl, or perhaps two - it was up to her what she did.

I would miss the dogs, and they me - but we all would have to adjust.  My only
real concern was Elisabeth.

Ilse and I had come to love our small charge, in spite of trying to keep our
distance.  And we knew Elisabeth loved us too, she showed it so clearly all of
the time.  What would happen to her when we left?

But we couldn't stay just because of Elisabeth, though we would do our best to
make the transition as easy as possible.  We'd give Jane enough time to find
replacements for us, and maybe even talk to her about the needs of her
daughter, if she let us.  Perhaps we could spend some time with the new girl,
help her settle in, and talk to her about Elisabeth - her likes and dislikes -
and stress the importance of a little attention and love.  Hopefully, the child
would be better looked after than before we came.

So one day, as we all sat over our drinks, I mentioned casually that Ilse and I
were thinking of returning home.

"You are not giving me notice, Trudi?" Jane asked, alarmed.  She put her glass
down, looking at me anxiously.  Obviously this had come as a shock.

I could reassure her, and shook my head.  "No, Mrs Ashworth, not yet," I
replied.

But she had to know we'd leave soon, so I said:  "We just wanted you to know,
so you have time to think, and to arrange for someone else to come in our
place, because of Elisabeth."

Mrs Ashworth nodded; clearly relieved we were not going just yet.  She took
another sip from her glass.  "I appreciate it, Trudi," she said.  "And I shall
enquire who is available in the village."

Then she asked why we wanted to leave.  To avoid long discussions and to make
it as painless as possible for all of us, I replied that I needed to take care
of my flat - it had stood empty for almost five months - and I missed Vienna,
and the hills and mountains surrounding the city.

Ilse explained she wanted to see her parents - she was homesick on times -
especially now spring had come.  She got quite carried away, telling Jane how
lovely it was in the mountains in spring.

Eventually we returned to the subject of our leaving.  Mrs Ashworth said she
understood now, but hoped we would at least stay a little longer.  But whatever
we decided, we should give her at least two weeks' notice.  In the meantime she
would look for a girl, or perhaps two - as she catered for paying guests now.
And later some time, when we all knew more, we could finalise our arrangements.

We agreed to everything, and whilst Mrs Ashworth was still in a reasonable
mood, I suggested we should spend a little time with our replacements.  It
would help Elisabeth to get used to the changes.

Our employer nodded, looking very thoughtful suddenly, perhaps she realised
only now the implications for her daughter.  But Ilse and I left it at that.
We had achieved what we'd set out to do, at least for today.

To take her mind off the problems ahead, we talked about Elisabeth, how well
she had come on, and what perfect table manner she had - Mrs Ashworth could be
proud of her daughter.

Jane beamed in a dignified way, watching the little girl, who was playing
quietly with her bear, giving him rides on the backs of the dogs.

"Come to Mummy, darling," Jane called her.  The child looked surprised, but did
come.  Jane lifted her on to her lap, where she sat, looking at me, clearly
unsure if this lap was the right one.  Then she started to squirm, ready to go
back to the dogs, and her mother put her down.

"Is she not beautiful," Ilse remarked.  "She is just like you, Mrs Ashworth."

Clearly my friend was doing her bit to keep our employer happy whilst she
digested our news.  But perhaps she had overdone it, or Jane felt uncomfortable
with so much praise, because she got up.  "Well," she said, "I must be off.  I
am going to the club.  Would one of you girls care to join me?"

We both declined, pretending we had urgent housework to do.  I don't think Jane
believed us - housework had never been so urgent it couldn't wait.  But it
didn't matter anymore what our employer thought - we were leaving.  And the
foundation for our departure had been laid in a way acceptable for us all,
including Mrs Ashworth.  And for Elisabeth, we would do what we could.

But I could think of nothing to make it any easier to part from the dogs -
especially the Great Danes - and most of all, Sheba.

from
Vanessa The Google Girl.
my skype name is rainbowstar123