[guide.chat] Treatle toffee for Bonfire night for the kids

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide Chat List" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2011 18:27:16 +0100

What you need is:
 one pound of sugar.
 five table spoons of water.
 one table spoon of vinegar.
three table spoons of treacle.
 eight ounces of butter.

 First put all the ingredience Except the butter into a deep pan
 and melt,
 when it is nearly boiling add the butter and stir gently.

 Go and fetch ice cubes from the freezer, put them in a jug or
 basin of cold
 water.  now get the toffee tin greeced, I used a pie tin as it
 felt the right
 size, about 8 by 8 inches.  Thoroughly greece it with the butter
 wrapper.

 The toffee should boil slowly for almost five minutes, drop a
 very small bit
 of the mix into the cold water, when you fish it out it will be
 all in a
 spidery shape when its ready and crisp, not tacky.

 When your happy with it, pour it slowly and gently into the tin,
 do not
 spill it, leave it to cool, I put mine into the switched off oven
 where it
 was safe.  When the toffee is cool but still warm make tracks in it with a
 knife, this will help you smash it up more easily when its
 completely cold.
 I use a toffee hammer and its great fun smashing it up!

 Store it in an air tight plastic container and store in the
 fridge, it may
 stick together slightly when you get it out of the fridge to eat,
 just tap
 the tub on the table and it will loosen nicely.  Enjoy