[guide.chat] The Goldfinch, by Rosemary Gluvv.

  • From: "Judith Appleton" <judith.appleton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:19:07 -0000

Sweet Little Bird, with a Red Satin Face, poised on a Thistle, with infinite
Grace, Daffodil-Yellow , The flash on his wing, Feathers all perfect, as
Jewels, in a ring. We watched from the Window, in Breathless delight, for an
exquisite moment, and then he took flight. I turned from the Window, My spirits
downcast, He came not again, 'twas to Lovely to last. Look, Mummy, Look! Cried
my Five-Year old Son, A Picture of Goldie, The very same one! I've bought with
My Sixpence, Dear Mummy, and so, You can have Your own Gold Finch, where ever
You go! Thirty Years have gone by, since that long-ago Day, Many Things have
been lost, or have vanished a way, but The Picture still hangs, at the side of
My Bed. The Birds Gem Bright Colours, of Yellow and Red, have faded a little,
but I can yet see, My Son's Happy Face, as He gave it to Me.