[guide.chat] October Matilda magazine by email

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide Chat List" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:11:44 +0100

This is the Matilda Ziegler Magazine

Weekly Edition for October 10, 2011

Address:20 Thorndal Circle

Darien, CT 06820

Local Phone: 203-604-8601

Toll Free: 877-424-5481

Website: www.matildaziegler.com

Email: editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ross Hammond, Editor

Table of Contents

Letter from the Editor

Feature Writer Romeo Edmead - A Tug of War At The Game

Feature Writer Steven Famiglietti - The Topaz Video Magnifier

Feature Writer Alena Roberts - When Will Disability be a Part of
Courses on Diversity?

Feature Writer Lynne Tatum - It's QVC for Maria and Me

Feature Writer John Christie - Bierley Offers Low-Cost, Accessible
Cell Phone

Op Ed with Bob Branco - An Insult to Basketball Fans

Contributor Lynne Lamberg - 5-part Series: Improving Sleep and
Alertness in the Blind

Contributor Patty Fletcher - My Adventures with Campbell - Part 2: A
New World After Training

Contributor Kenneth Semien, Sr. - Your Greatest Dream

News - Recent Apple Product Unveiling Has Potential Impact On Visually
Impaired Community

Recipe of the Week - Sour Cream-Noodle Bake

Special Notices - New Listings

Pen Pals - New Listings

Special Notices - Previous Listings

Pen Pals - Previous Listings

You may skip to a new article or section at any time by using your
browser or word processor's Find or Search function to look for the
### symbol. For entries within a section of the magazine, search for
the ## symbol.

Letter from the Editor

As I drove along the Henry Hudson Parkway, which hugs the banks of the
Hudson River, and saw the George Washington Bridge in the distance, I
began to feel excited. It was that feeling you get right before you
show up to the game. That feeling when you know that no matter the
outcome, you're going to have a good time.

Getting to the Meadowlands Sports Complex was delightfully uneventful
considering that it was game day and I expected to sit in stopped
traffic on the highway for quite some time. But I meandered through
the parking checkpoints and found the lot I had been assigned. When I
exited my car, I could just barely make out the stadium as it peeked
out over the arching horizon. Simply put, I had a bit of a walk to go
meet Romeo at the train station at the opposite entrance. It wasn't a
problem, though--the weather was perfect.

As I walked, I watched as people tossed footballs around wearing Eli
Manning jerseys and flipped burgers on portable grills. The entire
atmosphere was filled with the happiness of fans who couldn't wait
until kick-off. When I finally made it to Romeo, we walked down off of
the train platform, made our way through security, and entered into
the underbelly of the massive Metlife stadium.

From the outside, the stadium looks like a giant bird's nest, with a
series of large steel louvers winding around its entire circumference
that, by design, might be meant to divert the wind. Inside the
basement area of the stadium is a small city, comprised of an
uncountable number of rooms and corridors. Wasting no time once
inside, we made our way to the press elevator and were whisked upwards
to the press box.

Inside, the press box is very office-like. If something wasn't white,
it was glass or brushed steel--very modern and utilitarian looking--a
place for business to coincide with entertainment. The accommodations
couldn't have been better. We found our seats, I plugged in my laptop,
connected to their wi-fi network, and then Romeo and I grabbed a bite
to eat from the press cafeteria while the teams were warming up on the
field below.

During the game, a slew of statistical information was thrust in our
direction and announced through an expansive network of speakers and
televisions. We knew as much about the game as any football fan could
ever ask for. While there was no audio jack for Romeo to listen to the
play-by-play at our work station, he easily picked up the WFAN
broadcast on his radio (which was coming from a few booths down) and
was able to keep up with every little detail.

Afterwards, when we went into the locker room, we were immediately met
by a member of the Giants' PR staff, who said, "You must be Ross and
Romeo. If you need anything or would like an introduction to the
players, let me know."

Which brings me to my final point--this trip exceeded my expectations.
Not because of the quality of the game, or even the facility, but
because of the New York Giants staff. Not once did I ever encounter
one person who wasn't more than happy to answer a question, or seek
out someone who knew the answer. They treated us the same as any front
page sports writer for the New York Times. They really made us feel so
welcome, and I am immeasurably grateful for the entire experience that
they offered Romeo and me.

So, as I said in my previous announcement, I hope that this is the
first of many experiences for the Ziegler writers. I also hope that
those of you who checked in on the live blog on the website enjoyed
the coverage of the game and the commentary from Romeo and me.

Have a great week. Take care, and thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Ross Hammond, Editor

###

Feature Writer Romeo Edmead - A Tug of War At The Game

From early September to the beginning of February, my perfect Sunday
includes two things--food and football. Between the hours of 1 in the
afternoon until almost mid-night, I'm usually traveling back and forth
from the couch to the kitchen. Yesterday, my day did include food and
football, but it did not come in quite the same package that I'm used
to. For the first time ever, I attended a live football game,
featuring the Seattle Seahawks against my beloved New York Giants.

Attending the game as a member of the media, the battle in my head
began immediately between Romeo the Giants fan and Romeo the
professional. When I exited the elevator on the press level and
realized I would be indoors, I quickly discerned that I would have to
keep my emotions in check. The tranquility of the press level was not
conducive to my usual child-like behavior during a Giants game. I'm
sure I groaned and cheered a little too loud once or twice, but I did
much better at keeping myself in check as the game progressed.

On a more serious note, attending the game was quite a learning
experience for me, and it eased some fear I had of expanding my
writing career. First of all, I've often wondered about completing
game stories in a timely fashion if I were a Giants beat reporter, and
I discovered it would not be a problem. Although game stories mostly
include text, they usually mention some statistics too, and I wondered
just how quickly I could access such information. Well, for one,
official play information is announced over the public address system
in the press box after each play. These included yards gained or lost,
the players involved, etc. Furthermore, official stat sheets are given
out at the end of every quarter, and portable text to speech scanning
technology could easily make that information accessible to me.

Also, the possibility of needing food did concern me, because
navigating amongst more than seventy-five-thousand people with a tray
could be tricky. Much to my delight however, the press has a separate
eating area, and equally appealing is the fact that it is free. Being
indoors was something important to me too, because despite yesterdays
warm beautiful day, November, December, and January is usually quite
the opposite.

The only negative I could find is something I already figured. While
going into the locker room after the game, of course no one on the
Giants was too enthusiastic about speaking to the media. With angry
looks on their faces, players and coaches whizzed by according to our
Editor Ross Hammond, but we did get some face time with Jake Ballard,
the Giants' Tight End.

For a fan like me, the ride back to Brooklyn seemed especially long,
as well. But the 90 minute commute via the train allowed me to do
quite a bit of thinking, and I came away smiling about the knowledge I
acquired regarding my continued potential as a writer.

###

Feature Writer Steven Famiglietti - The Topaz Video Magnifier

Recently, I got a firsthand look at the Topaz video magnifiers made by
Freedom Scientific. As a child, I remember seeing a video magnifier
for the first time. It took two people to carry it into the school and
it was huge and clumsy to use.

Here are some of the features found in these Topaz video magnifiers.
First, they have a flat, wide screen, which can be useful in
displaying magnified text from the tray below. The screen can move up
or down to accommodate an individual's needs. It can also move left to
right and swivel to the left or right in a circular motion. All of the
controls for the Topaz are located at the bottom of the screen and are
laid out horizontally.

The controls include four buttons which are laid out in this order--a
yellow button, which adjusts the screen brightness, a large black
button in the center, which adjusts the magnification level, a blue
mode button, which adjusts the picture mode, and the power switch,
which turns the unit on and off. The three buttons which adjust
brightness, magnification, and picture mode, all operate by turning
them from left to right, or right to left. As you rotate these
buttons, each level of adjustment is noticed by clicking the button as
it is rotated. This makes it easy to get an exact adjustment.

Some unique features of the Topaz include true color mode, which
really brings photos to life with crisp, bright, clear representation
of colors. There are sixteen levels of magnification and five viewing
modes, which include yellow on black, yellow on blue, black on white,
white on black, color and true color. When you have placed an item on
the tray, you can have the Topaz freeze the item on the screen by
clicking the black magnification button. This means that you can
remove the item from the tray and the Topaz will still display that
item on the screen until you click the magnification button a second
time. The tray itself moves in all four directions, but you can make
the tray movement more restricted, or lock the tray from moving if you
desire.

I like the fact that this unit allows the user the ability to use the
true color mode because it really makes pictures look great. I have a
difficult time seeing pictures and having the ability to not only
enlarge the photo but also put it into true color mode is an extra
bonus for me. I also like the fact that the monitor can be raised,
lowered, and swiveled. Most of the video magnifiers that I've used in
my life did not have this capability so I always had to find a chair
that was at the correct height for viewing.

You can get more information about the complete line of Topaz video
magnifiers offered by freedom Scientific if you visit
http://freedomscientific.com/products/lv/topaz2-product-page.asp

###

Feature Writer Alena Roberts - When Will Disability be a Part of
Courses on Diversity?

As a psychology major, I had "diversity" thrown at me in almost every
class I took. It was important that I learn to be culturally competent
and to enhance my experience of diversity by participating in events
that were different from the culture I grew up in. Diversity was seen
as a way to encourage empowerment and tolerance, but people with
disabilities were never a part of the diversity discussion. Since I'm
white, I felt like I had to pretend that I wasn't a minority because
of the color of my skin, when in reality, people with disabilities are
the largest minority in the country, and they too need and deserve to
be a part of the diversity discussion. In last month's "Chronicle of
Higher Education" Lennard Davis asks the question, "Why is disability
not a part of the discourse of diversity?"

The author starts the essay by pointing out that when colleges are
promoting the diversity of their campus, you often see people of
different ethnicities, but you almost never see a blind student or two
deaf students talking in sign language. Disability is only discussed
on the pages about accommodations and services. Disability is not
integrated into courses on diversity and in fact, as Davis points out,
"Anthologies in all fields now include theoretical perspectives
devoted to race, gender, and sometimes social class, but disability is
almost never included."

"Courses on diversity are intended to celebrate and empower
underrepresented identities. But disability seems harder for people
without disabilities to celebrate and see as empowering. The idea
presented by diversity is that any identity is one we all could
imagine having, and that all identities are worthy of choosing. But
the single identity one cannot (and, given the ethos of celebrating
diversity, should not) choose is to be disabled. No one should make
the choice that his or her partner be disabled, or that their child be
born with a disability. So how could disability legitimately be part
of the diversity paradigm, since it speaks so bluntly against the idea
of choice and seems so obviously to be about helplessness and
powerlessness? If diversity

celebrates empowerment, disability seems to be the poster student for
disempowerment."

The paragraph above helps us to see why disability isn't a part of the
diversity discussion. With that knowledge, it is up to those of us
with disabilities to encourage universities to revisit their
curriculum and add disability to courses on diversity. If I need to
understand what it means to be an African American or a transgendered
person, then my fellow students also need to understand what it means
to have a disability. The struggles that those of us with disabilities
experience need to be acknowledged and understood.

If you want to read the full article, visit this link.
http://chronicle.com/article/Why-Is-Disability-Missing-From/129088/

###

Feature Writer Lynne Tatum - It's QVC for Maria and Me

Do you have a favorite shopping channel? Are you a fan of QVC, the
Quality Value Channel? Have you ordered from the television or the
website? Maria has purchased quite a few fantastic items of note. I
can tell you that she consistently returns to QVC for its high-quality
products and great prices. So far, we haven't been disappointed. We
only wish that the website were more screen-reader friendly.
Regrettably, that statement applies to many popular websites.

Denim and Company, where are you? How will I survive without my new
outfits from this wonderful vendor? Each time Maria turns to QVC, I
wait expectantly to see if they are on and offering one or more great
ensembles that I'll be able to wear to work. Sadly, this hasn't been
the case as of late and I'm becoming truly despondent. I know what
you're thinking, "despondent over clothes?" Of course. Unlike some,
who are content to wear the same thing (or they have no choice), I am
fortunate enough to be able to vary my wardrobe.

The Fall season finds me wearing darker clothes. This is not a
requirement at all; it's simply one of those seasonal habits I've
fallen into. No one decreed that I must not wear a lemon-yellow blouse
with orange slacks. All I can do is patiently wait for the day when
Maria announces that Denim and Company is finally showing they're
wares. They're clothes fit just right and has taken the trepidation
out of purchasing items that I cannot try on.

Promising I'd never purchase shoes online as I need to try them on, I
happily wear a pair of shoe-boots for biking that were purchased by
giving nothing more than my shoe size. They are ultra-comfortable and
I never wear any other shoe for riding. I tried once and it was not
pretty. These shoe-boots have a bit of a lift, which offers some help
for pedaling a 21-inch tandem bike.

Ah, and I can't forget my ultra-cool (and lifesaving) Windows 7 laptop
given to me as a Christmas gift last year. When my beloved desktop
flew the coup, it was there to step in and take over. The prices for
electronics tend to be a bit high, but we're often able to use QVC's
convenient EasyPay Plan.

Our latest extraordinary acquisition from QVC is a product called the
Smoothie Express. It is wonderfully easy to use and clean and I have
made several delicious drinks. Once we turned it right side up, we
were good to go! I'm pondering purchasing a juicer as I'd love to make
fresh apple, orange, or vegetable juices.

And, joy of joys, we're even able to watch it on our computers.

Do you do any shopping from home? What are your outlets of choice?

###

Feature Writer John Christie - Bierley Offers Low-Cost, Accessible
Cell Phone

For people who don't want a cell phone with all the bells and whistles
on it, the BM-01 Big Button phone may be just the phone for them. The
phone which is suitable for seniors or people with low vision has a
variety of features. These features include large keys for easier use,
no contract, magnification of text messages, and the ability to use a
SIM card from any service provider. The GSM phone works anywhere in
the United States where there is cellular coverage. It has been
designed specifically for seniors or anyone with vision impairment and
it very simple and easy to use. For those of you worried about the
cost of the phone, it can be used on the AT&T network for as low as
$8.00 per month.

The phone also has an emergency button. With this button, there is no
need to call 911. In an emergency, just press the button and 911 will
be dialed automatically. The emergency button even works even when the
phone is switched off, which is a great feature.

The phone also has 6 days of battery life, with five to seven hours of
standby and talk time. The phone also has large keys with large font,
making it easier to read the text without glasses. For those who need
even more, the phone also has a magnify key. This key enables the user
to increase the size of the text. The phone is also radio hearing aid
compliant.

For further information about the phone, call 800-985-0535 Ext. 801 or
go to the company's web site at www.bierley.com.

This phone is a great choice for the elderly or a person with low
vision. The phone has big buttons and you can increase the font size
to read text easier. It also has a great emergency button feature.
However, I'm not sold on the fact that it will still work even when
the phone is off. This is not good because if someone hits that
particular button while it is in their pocket or pocketbook, they'll
be calling emergency services. Other than that, the phone is an
excellent low-cost choice if you're in the market for one.

Hopefully, as with many products, other companies will follow the
example of Bierley and manufacture and design their products with the
blind and visually impaired in mind.

###

Op Ed with Bob Branco - An Insult to Basketball Fans

We live in tough times. Many of us make just enough to put food on the
table and pay our bills. Most of you would agree how extremely
difficult this is. When we are not paying our bills or managing our
limited funds, many of us like to enjoy recreation and sports, such as
basketball. I am a Boston Celtics fan, and, at this time every year, I
look forward to listening to the play by play as the Celtics try to
win another championship. However, I take issue with the owners of the
National Basketball League's teams, who actually have the nerve to sit
in a room and argue over millions of dollars, while we, the average
consumers, can only dream about having that kind of money. Being that
these owners can't agree on a fat salary, they have decided to take
the joy of basketball away from us for a while.

What crazy times we live in! Many of us are afraid to ask our boss for
a small raise, while people in professional sports not only demand
millions, but go on strike if they don't get their way. Haven't these
basketball owners, or the owners of any other sports teams, realize
that we, the fans, support them financially? If I own a sports team,
and I am not satisfied with the percentage of revenue that goes into
my pocket, the first thing I'm going to realize is that if I don't
keep my mouth shut and cause a lock out, fans won't pay me. Isn't it
better to accept an eight digit figure that you're not happy with
rather than nothing at all?

A solution to this problem should be a general boycott of basketball,
but of course, we all know that won't happen. It took a few years
after the baseball strike of 1994, but many stadiums were sold out in
2011. I just don't think it's fair that while I struggle to make ends
meet, and while I deserve to listen to basketball games as some kind
of reward for how I care for myself, I need to be denied that
privilege because the big wheels can't decide whether they are happy
with fifty million dollars or a hundred million dollars. Hey, give me
what you're not happy with. I'll gladly take it, and give it to my
family and friends so they could make ends meet a lot easier.

Your thoughts are welcome in the Readers' Forum.

###

Contributor Lynne Lamberg - 5-part Series: Improving Sleep and
Alertness in the Blind

Part 2: How the body clock works

Non-24-hour sleep-wake disorder (N24HSWD) is a little recognized
consequence of living in constant darkness.

In sighted people, daylight exposure organizes daily life. It sets the
hands of the body's master clock, a tiny pair of nerve clusters in the
center of the brain that anchor body rhythms to the earth's 24-hour
light/dark cycle.

This master clock governs the alternation of sleeping and waking, body
temperature, blood pressure, secretion of hormones, hunger, urination,
cell division, mood, and hundreds of other physical and mental
functions that occur in synchrony with the earth's 24-hour rotation.
These daily rhythms are called "circadian," from the Latin words,
"circa," meaning about, and "dies," a day.

Humans and most other day-active species have a circadian clock that
usually runs on a slightly longer than 24-hour cycle, typically, 24 to
25 hours long. This built-in flexibility allows people to stay up late
or get up early if desired, travel across time zones, live at
different latitudes, and adapt to changing day length over the year.

Researchers study circadian clocks in caves and windowless research
laboratories with no clocks or other indicators of time. Both sighted
and blind people participating in such studies typically go to sleep
and get up from a few minutes later to about an hour later day after
day. Each person's schedule is unique.

In the outside world, daylight keeps internal clocks in sighted people
from drifting. Daylight synchronizes inner rhythms with the planetary
light/dark cycle every day.

The eyes, and only the eyes, detect light for this purpose, Lockley
said. Light signals travel from the eyes to the master clock over a
special pathway that differs from the one used to send visual signals.

About 55 per cent of people who totally lack light perception, and
virtually all of those with no eyes, experience N24HSWD, Lockley said.
A small proportion of blind people with no conscious awareness of
light perception still retain the ability to detect light, which
enables circadian synchronization of their body rhythms. Visually
impaired people who can detect light seldom develop N24HSWD.

In 1977, Laughton Miles and his colleagues at Stanford University
published a landmark report, "Blind man living in normal society has
circadian rhythms of 24.9 hours." Despite the man's diligent efforts
to stick to a regular schedule for bedtime, rise time, work, and
meals, his body rhythms continued to drift around the clock.

A person whose body clock runs on a 25-hour cycle may go to sleep an
hour later each day, moving around the clock in 25 days. He or she may
experience about two weeks of good sleep followed by two weeks of bad
sleep, and then repeat this cycle.

Someone whose body clock runs on a 24.1 hour schedule, however, will
drift only six minutes per day and take 241 days, or about eight
months, to go around the clock. This person may sleep well for four
months, and then badly for four months, before returning to good
sleep, then bad sleep, and so on. Such individuals and their
physicians may attribute the sleep disturbance to ordinary insomnia
rather than to a body clock disorder. Ordinary insomnia, however, does
not wax and wane with such regularity.

Humans occasionally have body rhythms that are shorter than 24 hours.
These people go to sleep earlier and get up earlier each day, drifting
backwards around the clock. Totally blind people who report no cyclic
difficulties may have an internal clock with a period very close to 24
hours that is synchronized by time cues other than light, such as a
regular schedule for sleep, work, meals, and exercise. Some people
have a clock that runs on a 24-hour cycle.

Part 3 of this report will describe efforts to help people with
N24HSWD stabilize their internal clocks.

###

Contributor Patty Fletcher - My Adventures with Campbell - Part 2: A
New World After Training

Then the real fun began. I began to realize just what the dog could do
for me. I began to work out in the public where there were always
obstacles in my way, and Campbell would take me around them. People in
the way were no longer a problem. If there was some silly person
standing in the middle of the side walk talking on their phone and not
looking where they were going, I no longer got my cane rapped round
their legs. Campbell just politely wagged his tale, and took me around
them. If a car ran a red light, Campbell would stop and back me away.

One day during training, I was crossing at a particularly difficult
light, and I got going the wrong way when I stepped off the curb and
found myself walking toward the traffic. My instructor looked up from
speaking with another student and saw that I'd strayed into the
direction of the oncoming traffic. I was in no real danger yet, and he
felt he had time to direct me back. He first instructed me to follow
my dog, who was trying to herd me back in the right direction. Then
when I did not go with him, he yelled from the curb for me to stop and
turn my body to the right right away! I couldn't hear his instructions
because of a car making a noise on my right. I could also hear a horn
off to my right beeping a single beep over and over again. I think
that the driver was trying in the only way he knew to assist me to
come back to the direction I should be walking, but the horn was
freaking me out, and I wouldn't go toward it. Finally I heard Drew's
instruction, and before I got creamed, and to the relief of all of us,
especially Campbell, I turned and went the correct way. When Drew
caught up to me he was rather shaken too, and we both took a minute to
catch our breath. I am happy to say that I reworked that light on
another day and got it done correctly the first time across.

The other thing I have noticed about working with my new dog is that
he enables me to walk more normally. I stand straighter, I walk more
in balance, and I stand taller. Working with Campbell the Wonder Dog
has given me a whole new sense of freedom. I am now back at home, and
slowly learning my surrounding area. Some of it I already knew and it
has been a piece of cake to learn. Some of it, however, I did not
know, and Campbell and I are learning together. This dog's memory is
absolutely outstanding. The first time out and around the block, he
remembered where my house was, and when we started toward home, he
quickened his steps, and when we got to the driveway, I did not even
get a chance to give the command to turn in. He just did it for me and
with a swish of the tail we were back home. I was so excited by this
that I knelt down and hugged him.

###

Contributor Kenneth Semien, Sr. - Your Greatest Dream

Your greatest dream can be achieved with a goal, vision and
determination

Small steps in the right direction will get you to your destination

You can begin by identifying sources of inspiration and gathering the
necessary tools

Then create some guidelines and activate effective monitoring rules

Be sure to include an "I Can" attitude, commitment and perseverance

Then add a hefty dose of energy, enthusiasm and adherence

Be careful not to dwell on the presence of fear, doubt or
procrastination

Involve the experience and expertise of others with similar
aspirations

One key to always remember is that great achievers never do it alone

Therefore surround yourself with people of character, integrity and
solidity like stone

Positive affirmations, quotes and articles can be an asset along the
way

Even success stories of others could inspire you to overcome feelings
of dismay

After conquering obstacles you'll discover much has been attained

You'll be glad once you witness the momentum you have gained

In the midst of adversity there are opportunities for you to shine

Just continue to tackle challenges with an open mind

Nay Sayers and times of uncertainty are sure to come

Nevertheless, you must believe that you have already won

All of the above elements are essential to your success

Know that you have what it takes and be encouraged to give it your
best.

Copyright  2011 - Insightful Perspectives - All Rights Reserved.

###

News - Recent Apple Product Unveiling Has Potential Impact On Visually
Impaired Community

On October 4, I watched a live blog as Apple introduced its newest
iteration of the iPhone. While many were expecting a completely
redesigned iPhone 5, what we've been given is an iPhone 4 on
steroids--dubbed the iPhone 4S. The shape of the phone remains
unchanged, but it is sporting some nice software upgrades. The most
notable is something called Siri, which I'll explain in more detail in
a minute. While this new phone didn't necessarily wow the tech
world--who were waiting for some incredible new device--the impact of
this most recent Apple Update Event could be large within the blind
and visually impaired community.

First, with the newest iPhone 4S coming out next week, pricing has
dropped drastically on the older models. While the new 4S will start
at $200, the standard iPhone 4 will now be $100 with a two year
contract. But the biggest news is that the iPhone 3G will now be free
with a two year contract. While the 3G model isn't the latest and
greatest, it is still an amazing device that will continue to be
supported by Apple. For any of you who have been on the fence about
buying a smart phone, now might be the best time to do it. As multiple
writers have said here in the past, while there is a learning curve
involved, the voice-over software on the iPhone makes it the most
accessible smart phone choice out there.

Now, onto the newest upgrade--Siri. Siri, as it was explained, is
going to be your humble personal assistant. Available only on the
newest iPhone 4S, Siri is able to listen to a host of voice commands
and respond in turn. What is so remarkably different about Siri,
though, is its ability to understand commands in normal speech.
Instead of saying, "Call Dad's Mobile," you can say, "Can you give my
Dad a call?" More than that, it can handle voice-to-text as well, so
saying, "Text Bill and let him know that I'll be a few minutes late"
will result in a text message to Bill alerting him of your delay
exactly how you spoke it. When creating a text message, Siri will
compose it and read it back to you, giving you the opportunity to edit
the message or simply say, "Send."

Siri goes way beyond calls and text messages, though. If you ask, "How
is the weather going to be today?" Siri will read you the forecast.
You don't even have to talk that official. You can simply say, "Will
it be chilly out today?" and Siri will tell you something like, "No,
not really. The high for today should be around 76 degrees."

The potential for software like this is incredible, because it creates
a communication bridge between you and your phone without the need to
see or touch anything. In a way, it even makes voice-over moot. I've
spoken before about how the future of technology for the blind will be
drastically improved, and available at a much lower cost, when there
is mutual use for both the blind and the sighted. Siri is a massive
leap forward in that direction, and its implications, should it work
properly, are huge.

###

Recipe of the Week - Sour Cream-Noodle Bake

Submitted by Dave Hutchins

This is a very nice casserole and has a really good flavor. You can
add in a little black pepper with the seasonings. It is very easy to
make.

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:

1 package medium egg noodles

1 cup Cottage cheese

1 carton sour cream, 8 ounces

1/2 cup minced onion

1 pound lean ground beef

1 can tomato sauce, 8 ounces

1 teaspoon Sea salt

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

3/4 cup cubed Cheddar cheese

Directions

Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles; fold in
cottage cheese, sour cream, and onion. Set aside. Cook meat until no
longer pink; drain. Add tomato sauce and seasonings; simmer for 10
minutes. Spoon half of noodle mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart
casserole dish; top with half the meat mixture. Repeat layers and bake
at 350 F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese, and
bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Cooking Tip: Crush leftover potato chips or pretzels and use to top
casseroles.

###

SPECIAL NOTICES - New Listings

New from the National Braille Press

Internet Explorer 9 with Jaws, Window-Eyes, and System Access Compiled
by Anna Dresner In braille, eBraille, or Word/ascii text, $6.00

This nifty reference card lists keyboard commands for Microsoft's
latest Internet browser. Also includes accessibility suggestions and
tips.

Order this book: http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/IE9.html

Primary Phonics, Set 3

Barbara Makar/Educators Publishing Service Large print, contracted
braille, uncontracted braille and pictures (all on the same page), $24
Ages 4-8

These books, published by Educators Publishing Service, have provided
the first reading experience for millions of students. National
Braille Press has made them truly accessible: each page includes the
large-print text, illustration, and both uncontracted and contracted
braille. Children will enjoy the satisfaction that comes from reading
a short story independently.

Set 3 covers: initial consonant blends; final consonant blends;
compound words; two-syllable words; twin consonants; consonant digraph
ck; consonant x; sight words; and plural -s.

To order or read more about this book online, visit
http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/PHONICS-III.html

For even more reading and phonics practice, get the previous sets!

Phonics Readers, Set 1 http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/PHONICS.html

Phonics Readers, Set 2 http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/PHONICS-II.html

To order any books, send payment to:

NBP, 88 St. Stephen Street, Boston, MA 02115-4302 Or call and charge
it: toll-free (800) 548-7323 or (617) 266-6160 ext 520.

Or order any of our books online at
http://www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/publications/index.html

##

I would kindly request for the announcement for supporting fellow
blind persons who are currently seeking refuge in Kenya as asylum
seekers.

The support can be in form of white cane, slate stylus, braillers, etc

This will be a great milestone of addressing the education gap faced
by refugees with visual disabilities.

Thanks.

Mugambi M. Paul

Disability Mainstreaming Officer

Handicap International Kenya-SomaliaProgramme

Dadaab office

Skype: shamgpaul1

Email: pmugambi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alternate mail:.shamgpaul@xxxxxxxxx

Cellphone: +254722231815, +254787431465

www.handicap-international.org

##

Dear Z-mag readers,

Has anyone recently bought a Wi-Fi internet radio and got it to work?
I really like the idea of a wireless radio that works off my home
network router that conceivably tune in thousands of internet radio
stations all over the country. I have read reviews of several brands
but am skeptical of it working for blind people. I had bought and then
returned the Logitech "Squeezebox" Wifi Internet radio. I couldn't get
it to work. Has anyone had any success working a Wi-fi radio. Let me
know.

All my best,

Chuck Ayers

mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

##

Ski for Light 2012 Invites Applications:

Are you a blind or visually impaired adult who cross-country skis or
is interested in learning the sport? If your answer is yes, then join
two hundred-fifty-plus active adults from across the U.S. and around
the world for our thirty-seventh annual Ski for Light International
Week. Ski for Light attracts recreational cross-country skiers from
beginners to advanced participants. Skiers and guides come from every
adult age group and occupation. You will be paired with a sighted
instructor/guide who will assist with skills, technique, and endurance
while describing the countryside and enjoying the trails with you. Two
sets of parallel, groomed tracks are set in the snow, with the skier
and guide deciding together how far, how long, and on what kind of
terrain they will ski. Many attendees report that the confidence, new
skills, and friendships they develop is an experience of a lifetime
that carries over into increased confidence and independence back
home.

The 2012 Ski for Light event will be held from Sunday evening,
February 5, through Sunday morning, February 12, 2012, in the Wasatch
Mountains of Utah. We will stay at the Marriott Hotel & Conference
Center in downtown Provo, and ski at the Soldier Hollow cross-country
ski area in nearby Midway, Utah.

Soldier Hollow was the cross-country skiing venue for the 2002 Winter
Olympics. The Ski for Light events in 2009 and 2010 were held at this
same location and we are eagerly anticipating a return visit for 2012.
Skis, boots, and poles will be provided free to first-time
participants, and partial stipends based on financial need are
available for first-timers.

Applications received after November 1, 2011 will be considered on a
space available basis. Full payment is due by December 15, 2011. Visit
the SFL Website, www.sfl.org, to learn more and to submit your
application for a fantastic week of fun. Additional information can
also be obtained by contacting the VIP recruitment coordinator, Bob
Hartt, bobmhartt@xxxxxxxxx, (703) 845-3436.

##

I am new to Dish TV. Can anyone tell me how to find out what is on TV
this week. I have the 120 channel package Dish network offers.

Thanks, Penny

englandpenny@xxxxxxxxx

##

The National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the National
Association to Promote the Use of Braille (NAPUB), and the National
Organization of Parents of Blind Children (NOPBC) are pleased to
announce the 29th annual Braille Readers Are Leaders contest for
students grades K-12. This contest encourages children around the
country to be proud of their ability to read Braille and continually
work to improve their skills. As in previous years students will read
as many Braille pages as they can in two months November 1, 2011,
through January 4, 2012) to compete for ribbons, cash prizes, and an
all-expenses-paid trip to the 2012 NFB national convention in Dallas,
Texas.

For the third year NAPUB and the NFB Jernigan Institute are also
offering a contest for mature Braille readers. Adults will compete for
cash prizes, national recognition, and bragging rights!

Teams of two to five participants are welcome to compete in both the
K-12 and adult contests again this year. Registration begins October
1, 2011. Form your teams, get some interesting reading material, and
warm up your fingers! For detailed information about the K-12 and
adult contests please visit www.nfb.org/BRAL.

##

I'm selling a BookPort in excellent condition. Price $200 or best
offer, negotiable.

Email: bluabirdo@xxxxxxxxxxx

Phone: 305-932-8856.

##

I am looking for a reel to reel tape player in good condition with no
external speakers. Please email me at branco182@xxxxxxxxxxx or phone
508-994-4972.

Bob Branco

##

I would like to ask if anyone has the books "Starting With the iPhone"
or "26 Usable App's" that are produced by National Braille Press. I
would rather barrow them from someone or if someone is willing to
donate them that would be great. I would prefer the books either in
Braille or on CD. Thank you. Please contact me at

michelleandremy@xxxxxxxxx

Michelle

##

Have you heard about The Blind Post Classified News?

It is a great place to share and sell!

The Blind Post features classified ads and announcements from and for
the blind and visually impaired.

Also monthly features :

Blind Man Walking by Joshua Loya

Tips & Tidbits from The Food Lady

Global Cane Outreach Updates by Lori Motis And so much more!

If you are blind or visually impaired, you can post all types of ads
from new or used items, any service you might have, any business, any
want, and announcements that you think other readers would be
interested in. Ads and announcements pertaining to the blind and low
vision community, from all individuals, schools, and organizations,
are also welcome. The Blind Post is a great place to share your small
business and products,

too.

We have over 805 subscribers currently, with several Emails being
forwarded, and many more visiting the website.

Your first ad of 50 words or less, in each 30 day period is free. They
will be posted to the website for 30 days and also in the following
monthly E-mailed newsletter. Longer ads can be posted for $5 and up,
depending on word count. Please share this message with others, and
let them know subscribing to The Blind Post Classified News is free!

Send me an Email with "Subscribe to The Blind Post" in the subject
line:

Mailto:foodlady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And please visit the website to read the news online:
http://www.theblindpost.com/

New ads and announcements are being posted weekly. The monthly emailed
edition is sent out on the 5th of each month.

##

Lot of great things are going on at the USABA. Events will be posted
in the upcoming Events Supplement, but check out www.usaba.org for
more information now.

###

PEN PALS - New Listings

No new listings.

###

SPECIAL NOTICES - Previous Listings

*** Announcement ***

Blind or Visually Impaired? - How You Can Learn to Play Chess
Absolutely free of cost!

"The Gymnastics of the Brain" or "The Martial Arts of the Mind" feel
the "Thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat" or just have lots of
fun, a fantastic hobby, wonderful inexpensive recreation, playing
Blind or sighted people alike. A great way to meet others, take this
games of Kings to whatever level you like!

To join, or for more information about how to enroll in a completely
free of cost Beginning Chess Course, through the Hadley School for the
Blind, in either Braille or Audio Cassette format and receive your
absolutely free full size high quality accessible chess set, contact:

Alan Dicey, President

Email: adicey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Or contact:

The Hadley School for the Blind

Student Services

Toll Free Telephone: 1-800-526-9909

And tell them you wish to take their Correspondence Course:

"Chess for Beginners"

Please see the Web site of the United States Braille Chess Association
http://AmericanBlindChess.org

Or subscribe to our List group: US_BCA-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A very cordial group of Blind or Visually Impaired Chess enthusiasts
who enjoy playing Tournaments or just Friendly Games with those of
their own strength and knowledge of this wonderful sport of Chess,
using email messages or computer voice communication programs or even
over the telephone!

##

Coping With Low Vision

Date: Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Time: 11:30 to 2:00pm

Location: Baldwin Senior Center

1000 West Broad Street

Stratford, Ct 06615

We invite you to be part of this wonderful day of product
demonstration and information!

This is a fantastic opportunity to learn about the latest equipment
services and assistive technology that is currently available for
people who are blind or visually impaired.

1:00- 1:30: Dr. Kim Stevens OD from Bridgeport will discuss age
related eye conditions, new medical eye treatments, legal blindness
and other low vision issues.

1:30-2:00: Board of Education & Services for the Blind (BESB) will
discuss eligibility for their services and what services they provide

For Information /RSVP:

Fran Sinish @ (203)378-6977 or fsinish@xxxxxxxxx

##

I am looking for a braille an speak 2000 or 640 with disk drive to be
donated. I am also looking for a braille blazer to be donated as well
as a braille dictionary. If someone could donate these things, I would
reallyappreciate it very much. I am trying to go to college and I
cannot afford them.

Thanks,

Melody Edwards

I can be reached at 336-682-7336

##

Did you ever think you could raise money for a favorite nonprofit just
by going out to dinner? Well, you can.

On Sunday, November 13th 2011, Western PA BOLD (Blind Outdoor Leisure
Development), will host a fundraiser at the Getaway Café: 3049 Sussex
Ave., in Pittsburgh's Baldwin Township neighborhood.

For every meal attendees order, this restaurant will total the money
they made and then donate 20 percent to BOLD-minus alcoholic
beverages and sales tax).

If you live in or near Pittsburgh, or will be visiting the Pittsburgh
area and want to attend this fundraiser, please phone Terri Winaught
at 412-263-2022 by 10pm on Sunday, November 6th.

To learn more about BOLD, visit www.wpabold.org

##

Good morning Family and Friends,

Accessibility dot Net is a leading technology provider for the
visually impaired community. As a solutions provider we are happy to
introduce a new division of our company - Musician Helpers. This
division is dedicated to bringing the best solutions available to
visually impaired musicians who are at every skill and need level. We
have the best tools and resources to help you reach your full
potential.

We at Musician Helpers not only have technology expertise, but we have
experienced musicians and sound engineers that bring an additional
level of understanding and support to this new division.

We invite you to contact us to visit more in depth about this and
other solutions from your friends at Musician Helpers - a division
of Accessibility dot Net. The web site is www.MusicianHelpers.com

A Perfect Score Every Time!

Pat Fischer

CEO

Corporate Office

Accessibility dot Net, Inc.

11110 Fort St., Suite 103

Omaha, NE 68164

Direct: 402-699-4357

Toll Free: 866-539-4357

Fax: 402-491-3221

Web: www.accessibility.net

##

Use your Victor Reader as an electronic tuning fork.

If you have a Victor Reader and a memory card you can use Audacity, or
any similar program, to generate audio tones at any frequency and save
them as mp3 files on your reader. This eliminates banging your tuning
fork against your knee and trying to hold it with one hand while you
play the piano with the other and turn the tuning hammer with ?
well. I have programmed mine:

A440.00

C523.25

F349.23

G392.00

That's all well and good until your world famous pianist says he wants
his Steinway tuned to A 442. You adjust the other frequencies (listed
above) by calculating 442/440 and using your answer to multiply the
other frequencies. It also works with 444/440.

I can program a memory card for you for a nominal fee. Contact me for
details at: Publicradio113@xxxxxxxxx

Paul Van Dyck

##

Do you ever feel like your sleep patterns are different than the rest
of the world? Do you sometimes feel the unwanted urge or need to fall
asleep during the day time when you need to be awake? Do you also find
that you feel just too wide awake to fall or stay asleep during the
night time? If you are blind, this could be due to a real sleep
problem related to the lack of light needed to keep your body's
internal clock in sync with the day and night cycle. If you or someone
you know might be affected, please call 1-888-389-7033 or email
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to learn about an ongoing clinical research
study that is evaluating a new investigational treatment for this type
of sleep problem. When calling or online at www.non24registry.com, you
can also complete a short sleep survey. For each completed survey, $25
will be donated to an organization that supports individuals with
blindness. You may be eligible to participate in the clinical trial if
you are between 18 and 75 years of age and are totally blind.
Volunteers will be compensated for their participation in the clinical
study and will receive study related medication, medical evaluations,
and transportation at no cost.

##

Want an accessible MP3 player?

You don't need to settle for a cheap screenless player, pay big bucks
for a talking player, or use semi-accessible music management software
just so you can use an MP3 player like sighted folks do. Our Talking
MP3 Players are mainstream products which have been customized by us
for use by the blind and vision impaired. They don't require any music
management software, have fully accessible talking menus, and are
priced very affordably. Our players arrive fully set up and speaking,
and you can easily use the included utility to enable the speaking of
your own folders and files.

These players are not touch-screen devices! Navigate the spoken menus,
sub-menus, and adjust the settings. Listen to your music, audiobooks,
podcasts, audio described films and TV shows in just about any file
type, I.e. MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC, AIFF, MP4, M4A, and others except
for protected file types. Great bookmarking capabilities for those
interruptions while listening to audiobooks and films! Listen to local
FM stations on the built-in FM radio and record from the radio or
voice notes with the built-in mono microphone. The memory is
expandable with microSD cards, up to an additional 32 GB of storage
space!

Read about these fantastic affordable talking MP3 players by visiting
our screen reader friendly website: http://www.talkingmp3players.com/

Listen to our presentation: http://www.talkingmp3players.com/demo.html

Contact information:

Email: accessibleelectronics@xxxxxxxxx

Phone: 727-498-0121

Skype: lazmesa

Accessible Electronics

The home of the affordable talking MP3 players!

##

I am trying to get in contact with an individual called Jeremy
Robinson. I believe he is living in Tenessee at the moment and has
graduated in computer sciences. If you think you can help me, feel
free to email me at: adrijana.prokopenko@xxxxxxxxx

Thank you.

##

For sale: Pebble (like new!), an amazing magnification device that
offers the following:

-Adjustable reading handle

-Carrying case with wrist strap

-Integrated battery charger with AC power supply

-2 year warranty

-Portable and lightweight, 7.7 ounce design

-3.5 " high resolution LCD display

-Magnification ranges from 5x to 10x

-6 viewing modes (2 color select modes included)

-Freeze frame feature (with adjustable color/zoom)

Price: $325 includes shipping and insurance

Also for sale is an AFB Teletouch in excellent condition. QERTY
keyboard with single braille cell.

Generally used for communication with individuals who are deaf/blind
or individuals who are blind and who communicate with those who are
deaf.

Price: $300 including shipping and insurance

Contact: Jane Kronheim at jane.kronheim@xxxxxxxxx or call:
603-827-3859

##

Attend An Information Day

Please join us on October 5 or November 2, 2011

Do you have consumers or students struggling with vision loss? Do you
think they would benefit from Vision Rehabilitation? Have them spend
the day at the Carroll Center to learn about rehabilitation training
and the programs will offer.

All attendees can tour the grounds, hear about the skills they will
learn from our professional staff and talk to our alumni hosts when
they attend our monthly information day. Please share this invite for
any consumer, family member, or professional who would like to see our
facility, meet other persons with vision impairment and learn about
vision rehabilitation.

The program starts promptly at 10:00 am and concludes by 2:00 pm.
Please join us for lunch, free of charge.

If you cannot attend on those days, you may also schedule a private
tour.

To make a reservation contact Gene Callahan or call (800) 852-3131
ext. 242.

Upcoming Low Vision Demo Days:

Want to see the latest Low Vision Technology? Reserve a spot on our
demo day to see the newest devices to benefit those with Low Vision.
Demonstrations are 30 minutes and are held between 2 pm to 4 pm;
reservations required -- Gene Callahan or call (800) 852-3131 ext.
242. Next ones: October 7 and November 4. Or stop by the Carroll Store
Monday through Friday to see a wide variety of low vision products.

Safe the Date--Our Annual Technology Fair

In honor of our 75th Anniversary we are expanding this year's
Technology Fair. More presentations and more time to see the vendors!
Tuesday, November 22. Mark your calendars!

##

Message of Hope, a nondenominational ministry of Unity School of
Christianity, offers Daily Word Magazine, free of charge, in braille
and on cassette. For more information, call toll free: 866-421-3066 or
visit us online: http://www.facebook.com/messageofhope/

Thank you,

Kimberly Morrow

##

Hi name is Kelley sprout from Asheville, NC. I am looking for a few
items. I'm looking a device where I can do a one-man-band without
using a computer. Is there a digital recorder that I can get that can
track dub also? I'm looking for some very old cassettes of choice
magazines. You can contact me at Phone 828-699-7906 email
kb3lr@xxxxxxxxxxx

##

SCENTSY WICKLESS CANDLES

I always loved the smell of scented candled -- but frankly feared
burning my place down. Not to mention the thought of having my guide
dog around an open flame like that. Then came Scentsy and their safe
scents. I was visiting a local home show and I smelled something
wonderful! It was amazing the consultant there had so many samples
scents too choose from. There were fruit scents, bakery scents, spa
scents - they all smelled so wonderful. Amazing in fact. Then, I found
out the BEST part; they did not involve fire in any way and would make
my house smell wonderful for weeks.

I thought perhaps it might be foolery. No way a simple 25 watt bulb
and a small piece of wax could do that. Boy I was wrong. I went home
and tried out my first scent (cranberry mango). I put one of the small
cubes in to the warmer and turned it on. I am not a patient guy, so a
minute later when the room was NOT filled with the perfect scent I
envisioned, I was ready to call it a waste of my time and money. I
felt for the cube and it was still there -- soft but not melted. I
thought well I guess I can wait a little more ... then there it went
sliding around in the warmer - it was melting and the scent was more
amazing than I could have hoped. In less than 5 minutes the entire
first floor of my house smelled of this wonderful cranberry and mango.
Always the skeptic I figure it would not last. I was wrong there too.
A week later the SAME cube was still able to fill the house with a
wonderful smell. I was hooked.

Scentsy is the authentic wickless candle company, founded on the
simple idea of offering a safer alternative to traditional candles.
Scentsy Warmers are highly decorative and use a low-watt bulb to melt
specially formulated wax slowly, maximizing the fragrance time of the
Scentsy Bar or Scentsy Brick. Scentsy candles are safer around animals
and children because there is no flame and the melted wax does not get
hot enough to burn. With no flame, soot, smoke or lead to worry about,
the Scentsy system is a safe way to enjoy more than 80 delightful
Scentsy fragrances.

If you would like to learn more or to place an order, please visit
www.scentsy.com/indy or call (347) 878-6293

##

Check out stories and poems from your favorite Ziegler writers, Terri
Winaught, Lauren Casey, Valerie Moreno, Nancy Scott, Kate Chamberlin,
Marilyn Brandt Smith, and more. No, we're not a feminist magazine,
that's just the way the cookie crumbled this time. Go to
magnetsandladders.org to read our writers' group's magazine. You can
have it sent by Email directly by contacting me at
merrychristmas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx You can also submit work to
submissions@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for possible publication.

##

Computers for the Blind

Here is your chance to have a powerful computer with software allowing
blind and visually challenged persons to be able to join family and
friends, doing what they are doing.

Each computer comes complete with monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers,
and all associated cables. It also comes with preloaded software.
Software includes: Open Office for word processing/book keeping, NVDA
screen reader, demo version of Window-Eyes (will function for 30
minutes before computer restart), and 60 day demo version of ZoomText.
For a donation of only $100, the Texas Center for the Visually
Challenged will send your newly refurbished computer right to your
door. As of this morning, they have sent over 4,100 computers to
visually impaired individuals. Computers can only be shipped to the
United States or Canada.

Call Lee Mann at 214 340 6328 for full information. Please pass this
information on to other people who may need an inexpensive, fully
accessible computer.

##

Horizons for the Blind, a Crystal Lake, Ill based not-for-profit
organization, announces the launch of directionsformeTM
(directionsforme.org), an exciting new Internet based service that
makes consumer packaging information available in an accessible online
format for people who are blind, visually impaired or simply have
trouble reading the increasingly small print on packages or labels.

There are limited resources, if any, for visually impaired consumers
to access this information. Many websites are not designed to be fully
or even partly accessible for text-to-speech screen readers, Braille
output devices, screen magnifiers and web-enabled cell phones.

This important information is often ignored because of the difficulty
in seeing it. Some of this information is of a convenient nature but
drug interaction and allergy warnings could be life threatening.
Gaining comprehensive access will foster self sufficiency and allow
consumers to lead more healthy and independent lives.

directionsforMeTM was designed specifically for the blind and visually
impaired consumer and employs innovative methods to simplify the user
experience.

Skip to Main Content: Allows you to bypass repetitive information
contained on each web page.

Subject Headings: Lets you go directly to the information you want
without wading through content you do not.

Formatting: After consulting and testing with actual users,
information on the directions site is set up in the most efficient and
understandable way possible.

The Directions website will address a glaring disconnect between
consumer product manufacturers and this underserved population.

The easy-to-use format makes directionsforMeTM appealing to a wide
range of consumers. With the amount of information on consumer
products increasing dramatically and the print size decreasing just as
significantly, many consumers, particularly the growing senior
population, are having trouble reading the information on packages and
labels.

Through a licensing agreement with Gladson, Directions features over
300,000 products in food, health and beauty and general merchandise
categories. It provides consumers a consistent, one-stop source for
preparation directions, nutrition facts, ingredients, allergy/drug
interaction warnings and more.

##

Books And Beyond is a show that plays on ACB Radio each weekend. It's
hosted by Bonnie Blose, and we talk to authors, editors, publishers
and other creative and interesting people. Sometimes the shows are
blindness related and sometimes they're not. All Books And Beyond
shows will be archived at www.accessibleworld.org on The Books And
Beyond archives page. You can still call 773-572-3166 and hear them on
the phone as they become available. For questions, email Nancy Lynn at
freespirit52@xxxxxxxxxxx

##

Having computer problems? Contact Adapt on Demand LLC

"Assistance is an E-mail away"

E-mail: adapt@xxxxxxxxx or call 816-200-1064 any time

A partial list of services would include consulting, help with iPhone
or Victor Stream, web site evaluation, purchasing advice, computer
training, spyware removal, and hardware and software support by phone
or E-mail on the honor system at $20 per incident.

If your concerns aren't resolved you will not be charged. The goal is
to help people first.

###

PEN PALS - Previous Listings

Hi my name is Lu Leon. I'm a thirty year old man.

I love music I play a five string bass guitar. Pretty much love all
types of music not much fan of opera. I enjoy building things and just
hanging out with friends. I would love to hear from anyone in the
Gettysburg PA area. Would like to hear from women ages twenty five to
thirty six from the area for possible relationship. You can get a hold
of me by e-mail please put in subject line pen pal.
squirefender@xxxxxxxxx or by skype titaniumshell. I'm a pretty
accepting person if it is only to text on skype than that is great.
Hope to make new lifelong friends.

##

Hi, my name is Dennis Johnson. I'm 28 and looking for friends all over
America. My hobbies are listening to music, talking on the phone, and
corresponding by email. You can reach me at: dj83@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
or call any time at 601-891-8226.

##

My name is Lisa cakes. I live in Newfoundland Canada. I am looking for
email pals. I'm 34 years old and married. I enjoy listening to music,
meeting new people, reading, talking on the phone, watching TV and
movies, doing things on the computer, and spending time with our cats
and my guide dog. Those wishing to contact me, may send an email to
lisacakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Please put something in the subject title so
I know it's from a new penpal. Thanks

##

I am looking for pen pals. I'm a married man, I enjoy making people
laugh, playing music, I am retired, and I'm a big Lorrie Morgan fan. I
can do email and phone calls only. Phone 828-699-7906 email
kb3lr@xxxxxxxxxxx

##

Heather 38 would like to correspond with anybody of any age. She likes
to horseback ride, downhill ski during the winter, and being on the
computer. She works p/t at Pizza Hut taking phone orders. Send email
hgalal@xxxxxxxxxxxx

###

END OF WEEKLY EDITION

--
If you do not want to receive any more newsletters,
Forward a Message to Someone
http://matildaziegler.com/mzphplist/?p=forward&uid=05df492cbbcb08af20b6816a7310e421&mid=161