[guide.chat] News about a Cat making too much noise

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 10:03:34 -0000

Devon .
10 March 2012 Last updated at 08:01
Share this page.
Burmese stud cat's wailing upsets Manaton neighbours.
Rio the Burmese cat The 18-month-old Burmese had been with the Beales since he
was a kitten
A champion Burmese stud cat is being rehomed because his wailing to attract
female cats has upset the neighbours.
Rio - short for Lothario - has been with the Beale family in Manaton, Devon,
since he was a kitten, but when he reached maturity his wailing began.
Noise level checks found the howls were above acceptable levels, but did not
constitute a statutory nuisance.
Owner John Beale said: "He's going to Yorkshire on loan, so the neighbours can
get some peace and quiet."
But Mr Beale, 51, said he and his wife had been very stressed over the
situation and now planned to sell their home, hoping to be re-united with Rio
when they move.'Natural behaviour'
Eighteen-month-old Rio's wailing was ruled lawful as he only makes the noise in
short bursts.
"It's completely natural behaviour, but I admit he's noisy," Mr Beale said.
"We thought it would settle down, but we don't want to be a nuisance to our
neighbours so he has to go."
As a kitten Rio was a family pet and lived indoors, but as a stud he now has a
house and covered run in the garden.
Two complaints were made to Environmental Health, although the Beales do not
know who made one of them.
"It's a shame whoever it was didn't feel they could come and talk to us about
it so we could try to sort things out."
Mr Beale said although he and his wife had lived in Manaton for 10 years and
were still on good terms with other villagers, some trust had been lost so it
was "better to move on".