[guide.chat] My third guide dog Sid.

  • From: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:39:52 +0100

Hope you enjoy this one
Love Malcolm.

Hi All,

I came across this article from the early 90's. I thought I'd share it with
you. Red on.

Malcolm from Hyde. Cheshire. England.
Skype name. malcolmbo1

My Third Dog.

Here I am again, on my way to the Guide Dog Centre.

This time I am going for a dog called "Sid". He is a Golden Retriever, eighteen
months old and weighed seventy six pounds.

As I had only recently trained with "Toffee", I was allowed to fit my three
weeks training into two weeks. This meant that I worked from 8.30am. to 10.00.
pm. most nights.

One night, we came into Manchester to introduce "Sid" to the Metro trams. This
was because I use the tram at least once a week.

This form of transport is very good for blind people because there are no steps
to worry about and they announce the stations as you come to them.

"Sid" has a very lay ed back character and takes everything in his stride. Some
days he works very well and some days he decides to take his time and enjoy
himself This means if I go to town he likes to take his time and have a good
look in all the shops and at anything else that takes his fancy.

When our first November together came I was concerned about the noise of the
fireworks and how it might affect him. It did not seem to be bothering him at
first, but after about an hour had gone by he started to cry at the back door.
I opened the door and went out with him thinking that he wanted to spend. To my
surprise he went straight to the back gate and sat down to watch the fireworks.

I started to take him to Fog Lane park in Burnage so he could have a free run.
Every time I went he would make for the duck pond and jump over the fence into
the water and chase the ducks. He never tried to catch them. He just enjoyed
swimming with them. We were unofficially band from the park.

Another time while out on a ramble in New Mills we were going through some
fields and "Sid" was chasing a goose. The goose ran behind a wall followed by
"Sid". Seconds later "Sid" came running back with a surprised look on his face
and his tail between his legs followed by about sixteen geese chasing him.

Recently, "Sid" decided to eat a sock. This caused a blockage in his intestines
and he had to have it removed by the vet. Four days later the vet had to open
him again because of complications. He lost a lot of weight and the vet said
that I nearly lost him. He is well now and back to all his normal tricks. I
hope we will be together for many years to come.

Malcolm Bowker.

love Malcolm. xxxx.

Hyde, Cheshire,

skype name,