[guide.chat] My guide dog Edwin.

  • From: "M BOWKER" <bowker288@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 02:51:38 +0100

Its a sad one.
 I would like to share it with you.

THE LAST WALK.

As I have already mentioned, my friends and I go rambling once a month and have
done so for the past ten years. This is regarded as a nice day out for us but
it is also considered a day out for the dogs. We think of it as a break from
work for them that they fully enjoy.

This ramble that I am going to tell you about took place on the last Saturday
in March, 1992. This walk also doubled up for a sponsored walk off ten miles.
We had agreed to do this to raise money to buy picnic furniture for a project
for Pedley Woods.

Pedley Wood is situated on private land owned by a Mr P. Bromley. Which is in
Addlinton, near Macclesfield. Mr Bromley approached us and asked if we would do
this sponsored walk to raise money to help towards building a blind and
disabled trail in the woods.

As I recall, there was eight of us and three guide dogs. Edwin, Pilot and
Aaron. We all met in Manchester and took the train to Rose Hill, Marple. This
was the starting point for the ramble.

It was a nice sunny day, not to warm. Just right for a ten mile walk. The dogs
enjoyed themselves to the full. They found every bit off mud and water they
could find, except Edwin, because he didn't, like to get dirty, so he would
just tip toe through the water but not in the mud.

We raised a few hundred pounds between us and had enough money to buy two
picnic tables with attached benches and two ordinary benches.

A few days after the ramble, Edwin started to be ill, so I took him to the vets.

The vet carried out several tests on him, but sadly he passed away on Saturday
the 9 may 1992. He had died of a kidney infection. Everything was done to try
to cure it. Edwin was taken to rest at the pets cemetery in Leeds.

As you walk down the trail into the woods you come to a flat area where the
benches are situated. These overlook the river, on the opposite side there is a
water wheel which has been restored to full working order. This is a very nice
and relaxing place and we come here twice a year. Mr. Bromley had a brass
plaque made in Edwin's memory and had it fixed to one of the benches. This
bench is now referd to as the Edwin bench.

I thank Edwin for his good work, friendship and loyalty. m. Bowker. More next
month. JUNE.

love Malcolm. xxxx.

Hyde, Cheshire,

skype name,