[guide.chat] Leslie brown first test tube mum died aged 64

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:23:09 +0100

Lesley Brown
The woman who gave birth to the world's first test tube baby has died.
Lesley Brown made history in July 1978 when her daughter, Louise, was born in
Oldham General Hospital.
Mrs Brown had been trying for a baby with her husband, John, for nine years
before she became the first woman to give birth following IVF treatment.
She successfully conceived following pioneering treatment by Patrick Steptoe
and Robert Edwards, with the birth making headlines around the world.
The 64-year-old died with her family at her side at the Bristol Royal Infirmary
on June 6 following a short illness.
She leaves behind stepdaughter Sharon and daughters Louise and Natalie, who
were both born following IVF treatment, and five grandchildren.
Her husband died five years ago.
The family attended a private funeral service in Bristol this morning.
Daughter Louise said: "Mum was a very quiet and private person who ended up in
the world spotlight because she wanted a family so much.
"We are all missing her terribly."
Speaking on behalf of Professor Robert Edwards and the team at Bourn Hall
Clinic, chief executive Mike Macamee said: "Lesley was a devoted mum and
grandmother and through her bravery and determination many millions of women
have been given the chance to become mothers.
"She was a lovely gentle lady and we will all remember her with deep
affection."

Enter your comments: .
Type your comment here... All comments posted here should abide by our
Sending
Showing comments 1 to 9 and replies . Sort By:
Robert Ward (20/06/2012 at 17:18)
RIP Mrs Brown,you gave a lot of hope for many people.
Schwyz (20/06/2012 at 17:40)
RIP...BUT thanks to science part of her lives on.......
Ivor_Rash, Oldham (20/06/2012 at 17:52)
My condolences and best wishes her family & friends.
nora the explorer, failsworth (20/06/2012 at 20:16)
May you rest in peace Mrs Brown. I well remember the birth of Louise as I was a
patient of Mr Steptoe at the time of her birth, and the excitement on the wards
was electric. I felt at the time - and still do - that you must have been one
very brave and courageous lady to be the first to undergo IVF in your quest to
be a mum, as you must have wondered every day of your pregnancy whether all
would be well with your baby, Your courage, and the skills of Mr Steptoe and Mr
Edwards have gone on to give joy and hope to many thousands of parents all over
the world. What a wonderful woman and a credit to your family xxx
The Mucker, Manchester (20/06/2012 at 20:37)
My Mum always told me about the 'Browns' because I was born the same time as
Louise Brown. Sad day for the family.
Mike, Manchester (20/06/2012 at 21:20)
A very courageous woman (and her husband too) giving hope to millions of
couples and life to so many children. RIP.
Philip Brooks (20/06/2012 at 22:30)
God bless you Mrs Brown......You will always be remembered as a
pioneer....Without IVF our family would not be complete without the 3 boys we
have been blessed with x
sarahx, manchester (21/06/2012 at 05:28)
Lesley Brown, Patrick Steptoe and Robert Edwards gave a lot of hope to people &
without them I wouldn't of had my son. Best wishes to your family
Rochelle Benson (21/06/2012 at 08:26)
Really sorry to hear this sad news. She was a great woman and really changed
medical history and the world has a lot to thank her for. Condolensces to her
family.