[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] war dancing orchestras and bands

  • From: "John Keel" <j.keel1428@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vanessa" <qwerty1234567a@xxxxxxxxx>, "GUIDE CHAT" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 16:51:56 -0000

Hi sweet girl,
Well done on the war time bands. The only thing is that you missed out my
governor. He was Maurice Winnick, the sweetest music this side of heaven. I
played drums for him when I came back from America in 1945. We were on a tour,
playing the Moss Empire circuit which meant a different town every week. Each
night we played the same show twice for the first and second houses. Each show
ran for 50 minutes and the rest of the time was our own.

Among the personnel was the singer Doreen Stevens and Harry Hines who later led
the crazy band in the radio show, Ignorance is Bliss, known as Dr Crock and his
crackpots.

 In those days, the average weekly wage was £2 10 shillings  to £3 per week.
For my 2 hours a day working for him I was paid £12 a week. Out of that I had
to pay my bed and breakfast, usually about 30 bob plus meals out.
Another band you missed out was Oscar Rabin.
Hope you find this interesting.
Love John xxxx