[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] Exhibition

  • From: "Sara" <e-mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "John Barnett" <john.barnett2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Sara" <e-mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx�.co.uk>, "Lisa Peck" <peck152@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "guide chat." <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 23:30:50 +0100

Hi Charlotte,

Yes I really would love to have a cat, though I think that a guide dog would be
of more practical use for me, but I am still thinking about whether to go for
it or not.  For one thing, I am not very good in the mornings, I don't often
get up that early.  Another thing is that I am not really into walking very
far, maybe because I am not very fit, Asthmatic and overweight.  I think that
if I have a dog though it would make me go out walking a lot more.  I like dogs
if they are nice and quiet and are not boisterous, but I never have been a
really big dog lover.

The exhibition was really good.  There were over 30 different companies who
provide products and services for Deaf and Blind people.  One thing that I was
really interested in was from Sight And Sound Technology.  It was a mobile
phone with Talks speech software on it, plus a camera and Kertzweill scanning
software.  You would take a picture of a piece of print text, then the software
would read it out to you.  I asked them how much it would cost, but as with
anything made especially for blind people it was too expensive at £1100.  The
man said that I could get the phone on a contract and then buy the software,
but as I don't use my mobile that often, and would rather know how much I am
spending, I thought it rather pointless.  Anyway, I thought it was a really
good exhibition and got quite a lot out of it over all.

Bye for now.

From Sara Keable