[guide.chat] In Reply To: [guide.chat] Blind club

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>, "guide chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 19:48:09 +0100

Carol;
As you know, I live in a rural area, with only one large-ish town, Cumnock, and
lots of smaller ones. We were always told that this area couldn't support a
blind club because of transport problems; so those of us who were young - well,
younger than we are now - went to clubs which were fifteen or twenty miles
away, Ayr, or, in my case, Kilmarnock.
Anyway, the local college annexe offered a typing class for those of us who
were visually impaired; so five of us went along. We had a great laugh (and
picked up a few typing hints as well) and decided to try and set a club up in
our area, despite Social Work's comments.
We had the support of a retired teacher who acted as our treasurer, and the
Senior Social Worker for the Blind in Ayrshire said he'd help as well, if he
could.
Right from the start we decided that, though S.W were welcome to assist, the
club would be run independently, by blind people, for blind people. We booked
local council premises in Cumnock - and we're still there, twenty four years
later.
We started with eight members, but, after advertising in the local press,
opticians, health centres and talking newspapers, we built up within a few
months to twenty six.
Over the years, our numbers have changed as members died and new members
joined, but we average between twenty five and thirty five members. We meet
fortnightly, with a structured syllabus which our committee makes up.
We also try to go on as many outings as possible, usually once or twice a
month, to garden centres, museums, farms, shopping centres, tourist attractions
and historical places of interest.
The only rule is that if the most disabled member of the club can't do it, none
of us do it.
As far as formality goes....forget it!
We have serious speakers, of course, but lots of fun and friendship sprinkled
with sheer insanity as a side dish.
We have a formal constitution which, in nearly twenty five years of running,
I'm pleased to say we ignore, except to give copies to  the local authority
when we ask for a grant to help with transport.
The only rule we DO stick to, though, is that the members of the committee must
have a majority who are blind or partially sighted. Sighted guides are, of
course, valuable and essential, but we are still determined that we always call
the shots.