[guide.chat] In Reply To: Poems?

  • From: "James Liddell" <james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ebeth.kay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 11:26:36 +0100

Arnold's "Tam o'Shanter' was one of the classical pieces which helped me to
really 'get' the classics.
We had a music teacher who was very much influenced by the folk music revival
of the '50's and '60's. She transmitted her appreciation to me; and, to this
day, traditional music is still my favourite genre.

     Modern traditional music - and there's an oxymoron - is thriving, with
young people re-interpreting classic folk songs, writing new ones, and doing
amazing things with the traditional tunes. I try to get to "Celtic connections"
every year, in January. Held in Glasgow, this brings together the stalwarts of
the folk scene, and newcomers, in a series of events and concerts that really
make the winter hot! It's marvellous to see literally thousands of youngsters
queuing up for concerts!
Believe it or not, some combinations of Bohdron, Uillean or Northumbrian pipes,
and top of the range electric guitars sound fantastic!
     If you want some links to some of my favourites, which are on Youtube, let
me know, and I'll post them here for everyone to have a listen....after all, it
might even eclipse a certain person's exercise class...with any luck!
From: James Liddell - Email Address: james.liddell2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent On: 04/10/2012 21:26
Sent To: Guide Chat - Email Address: guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [guide.chat] Poems?

Does anyone here write poetry, or have a favourite poem?
I like reading some poetry, and have written a few as well, and I was just
wondering if anyone else was like-minded.
Jim
PTL! < <
-----