[guide.chat] In Reply To: New Kid On The Block

  • From: "Dawn Watson" <dawnyhen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Guide Chat" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 18:49:05 +0100

Hi John, it was nice hearing back from you. We used to listen to Malcolm
Laycock, enjoying his music. Thank you for telling us about the 2 programmes ,
we will look forward to them. Don't worry the playing of the saxophones will
restart soon. I had to stop when I was not well enough to play them mainly due
to M.E and general fatigue. I am much better than I was .
Chris and Dawn

Hi Dawn and Chris,

It was great to hear from you but I really think you should be ashamed of
yourself, having two saxes in your possession and not playing them. My
favourite big bands are Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Billy May, and Tommy
Dorsey. Miller was ok but the band didn't swing enough for me and I could never
stand Ray Eberly the singer. With the instruments you play, you must like
Johnny Hodges with Duke Ellington and Sidney Bechett.
There are two programmes on BBC radio 2 on Sunday evening that might interest
you both. From 9 to 10, Russell Davies introduces the art, craft and
inspiration of the popular song. Following on from that, Clair Teel does a
great big band show. She took over from Malcolm Leycock when he left a few
years ago. I hope this info is useful to you.
I must go now as it is time to feed our faces, that is, me and the dog.
Please feel free to get in touch again as I am only too pleased to help where I
can.
Kind regards to you both,
John.