[guide.chat] Emmerdale gossip for you

  • From: "Carol O'Connor" <missbossyboots33@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "guide Chat List" <guide.chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 07:25:19 +0100

Rachel Breckle from Emmerdale
© ITVEmmerdale's feisty newcomer Rachel Breckle has exciting times ahead in the
coming weeks as her family become permanent fixtures in the village.
As announced in the summer, former Shameless star  has been cast as Rachel's
sister Ali Spencer, who leaves her flat on the Hotten estate as she's hoping
for a fresh start with her two children Sean and Amelia.
Ali moves into Brook Cottage with the kids next week, but life won't be simple
for her as she has left her husband for another woman called Ruby (ex-Bad Girls
actress ). Sean is horrified by the situation, especially when it emerges that
Ruby will be living with them too.
Here,  - who plays Rachel - chats about what viewers can expect as the Spencers
and Ruby make their mark in Emmerdale.
How does it feel to have your on-screen family joining you in Emmerdale?
"It feels fantastic. It's been three months since I've been in Emmerdale now
and I've always known that they were coming in, but it's been a long wait and
the excitement's been building up, so now to have us all together is just
brilliant.
"It's been really exciting for me waiting to find out who would play the rest
of the family. The casting director was keeping me informed and as soon as I
heard that Kelli Hollis was up for Ali, I was just thinking how amazing that
would be, as I thought she was just fantastic in Shameless."
Are you no longer feeling like the new girl now they've arrived?
"No, I'm still running around like a headless chicken not knowing what I'm
doing half the time! The filming is intense, so I'm all over the place. If
anything, I feel like the new girl again because although I've been here a
while, I haven't been on screen a huge amount so now it feels like it's all
happening. I'm much more settled now my family are here."
The Spencer Clan (Emmerdale)
From left to right: Ruby, Ali, Amelia, Rachel and Sean.
It's Rachel who lets Ali know about Brook Cottage, but Nicola also has her
heart set on living there. Is Rachel worried about making an enemy of Nicola by
showing Ali the cottage?
"I don't think Rachel knows how nasty Nicola can be at this point and she sees
it as someone she can play against. Rachel can handle herself and she has got
Sam as a sidekick in the plot to get the cottage, so it's nice to see how they
manage to wangle it away from Nicola. The telling thing is that Rachel is doing
it for her sister. She is willing to offer up her wages to cover the rent and
get them out of the council estate and I think it shows a real caring side to
her and how she feels about Ali."
Can you tell us a bit more about the relationship Rachel has with her sister?
"I think they are quite close. Me and Kelli have become close already and we've
only known each other for two weeks, but we've got a great connection which is
fantastic and I think that's coming across on screen.
"The way we're playing it is that they are close. They've had quite a hard
upbringing which has made them even closer. It would be quite nice to see more
about their background in the coming months and to find out more about them.
"I think Rachel is perhaps the stronger emotionally of the two because she's
had to fend for herself a lot more, whereas Ali got married and had the kids
and got her own family. Rachel was left behind to make her own way in the
world. I think she sort of takes care of Ali when really it should be the other
way round."
The Spencer Clan (Emmerdale)
Does Rachel think Ali has handled the move badly by not telling Sean about what
she has planned?
"I think Rachel thinks that Ali has buried her head in the sand a bit by
thinking it's all going to be okay, because Sean is very fiery and we've seen
it on screen already that he has got a nasty side. I don't think she's really
prepared for how he will react."
Is Rachel close to her niece and nephew?
"I think she's got a big soft spot for both of them, especially little Amelia,
she makes her heart melt. With Sean, she does love him and she'll protect him
but she can give it out to him as well and can tell him what for, because she
can see him going off the rails and I think that's quite worrying for her. But
if anyone else attacks him, she'll be straight in there with a defence."
The Spencer Clan (Emmerdale)
How about Ruby?
"I think with Ruby it's not a case of Rachel being against her sister going off
with a woman, it's about her not liking the person Ruby is and the way she is
with her sister. She thinks Ruby could be a bit of a liability and I think she
doesn't like the fact that she doesn't fully take the kids on board, she wants
to go out and do her own thing.
"I think there's going to be clashes with Rachel and Ruby. She has a big
dislike for her and there are some scenes coming up where it gets a bit heated,
which will be great!"
Ali Spencer arrives on-screen on Monday, October 17 and Ruby Haswell arrives on
Thursday, October 20.