[gtk-book] License, Coding Style etc & Locking Chapter 'Making Custom Widgets'

  • From: Muthiah Annamalai <ec10130@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: gtk-book@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:20:56 +0530

GTK Book list:
+ To discuss & manage the work-flow of writing 'A journey through GTK+'
+ To help new authors & project maintainers, keep the book upto-date.
Hello Hackers!

>Elijah wrote:
>>the text under GFDL, CreativeCommons, Opencontent etc like licenses.
>Not all licenses you listed before are compatible.  If you allow each
>contributor to pick a license, then it may be illegal for you to put
>them together into a single book.

Ive just got to some idea of license issues, and currently keep the license
fixed to GFDL, as I think it closely fits the model of development &
distribution. Code to be licensed under public-domain style or as according
to the authors wishes.

If someone has enough time, and energy to lookinto the license issues, then
s/he could present the right choice. But IMHO GFDL suffices.

>Derwin McGeary wrote:
>       Is there, or should there be, a preferred coding style for the examples
> in the book?
Not really. Choose K&R C style or GNU C style.
More importantly keep the programs ANSI C compliant.

>Also, is XML or LaTeX preferred for contributions?
I guess latex will be better.

> I'm a native English speaker with some, but not much, experience
> programming with GTK, so I'd like to help with testing and readability:
> where do I fit into the workflow?
You can become our editor if you wish. A native english speaker
is most welcome to the party!

You can start be correcting grammar/style in chapter titles, contents,
and suggest a good name for the book. Something international.

> This book will be really useful, I think.
Lets make it happen. ;-)

Im starting work on the chapter 'Making Custom Widgets', and
formally locking work on this chapter.

Cheers.
Muthu.

Lets Hack Octave-Gtk.