[greenbuild] Bio

  • From: Jay Jacobson <jay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greenbuild@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 07:51:42 -0400

Hi;
        I'm a retired environmental scientist who joined EcoVillage at Ithaca in
'92 and am living in the first neighborhood.  I'm interested in using the
principals and practices of permaculture to reduce our consumption of
natural resources.  I'm tracking the neighborhood's total use of water,
electricity and natural gas to see the extent to which this suburban
ecovillage/cohousing community actually is moving towards sustainability.
        I'd like to explore using more alternative techniques such as rainwater
collection instead of potable water to flush toilets, a strawbale
composting greenhouse to grow salad vegetables in winter, solar energy for
preheating hot water, geothermal energy for space heating and photovoltaics
for electricity.  I'd like to grow tree crops such as fast-growing poplars
or bamboo for some useful purposes.  Any suggestions?
Jay Jacobson