[gptalk] Re: Roaming Profiles at remote site

  • From: Steven <usersend@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 09:52:51 -0400

Mike,

Not a problem at all. Do remember though, DFS has it's headaches like any
other technology. It also has a whole new set of things to watch every day.
I was thinking about your users and what you needed to provide them with and
I was thinking that the remote desktop solution would fit best and be least
disruptive. It's simple, no changes to Schema, servers, extremely low
traffic and would be pretty close to problem free. Remember that RDP is
built into Windows. This actually makes it very stable and it will behave
the same day after day. When the number of people needing the
service doesn't necessitate big changes, all you would need to do with
RDP is teach the users where to find the Remote Desktop in
Start>programs>Accessories>Communication. You could even run a script for
them that puts the shortcut right on the desktop. Lets face it some users
are a little lazy. Next, they only need to know their computer names. All
you have to do is put them in the local remote desktop group on their "home
base" machines (you could even script that) and you are done.

With DFS, keep in mind, you will still struggle with some of the same
problems you have now. Even if you used DFS to ensure that a copy of the
roaming profile was actually local to that site, you still have to get it to
the machine in a timely manner. Even locally the performance isn't always
what we would like to see and as I am sure you know, it still has it's own
little quirks.

One other bonus of going the RDP route is that you might be able to totally
do away with roaming profiles or at least keep them at a very low minimum.
That should help with traffic and users perceptions.

On another note, Omar replied and suggested using Terminal Services. I think
that would be an excellent idea too. Especially if your roaming users get to
be over 50. I think the terminal Services CAL's are about $25.00 to $30.00
per user. You will need a license server (an existing DC would do fine with
little to no overhead) and a dedicated Terminal Services Server for the
users to access and use all day. I guess all that would be another topic
though.

Good luck with everything and if you are still looking at the DFS route,
take a look at this Q&A on DFS from MS on version 2 of DFS (Windows 2003
R2). It should help you get a good start! There is also an overview of the
Distributed File System there in the TOC on the left.
http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/f9b98a0f-c1ae-4a9f-9724-80c679596e6b1033.mspx?mfr=true

Steven Mannings

Network Administrator

MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CISSP, Net+,A+,  ACPT, ACDT

On 5/8/07, mike kline <mkline@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks a lot Steven and Omar for the great suggestions;  DFS is something
I'm definitely thinking about.   Now I have to convince the higher ups to
let us extend the schema.

Thanks
Mike

--