[gptalk] Re: Help with WMI Filter

  • From: Darren Mar-Elia <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:28:19 -0800

Right. In this case if you want a GPO to apply ONLY to Win2K then a filter
excluding anything else is good and in that case my previous comment about the
Win2K server caption reallly makes no sense since any query that excludes
XP/2003 will work for 2K but you can't necessarily filter on Win2K server vs.
ws.

From: "Salandra, Justin A." <jasalandra@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> I am trying to create a WMI Filter so that only computers that match
> this filter will apply the policy.
>

> My thought process here is to query the OS Caption = Windows 2000
> Professional, this way Windows XP and Windows 2003 computers will not
> bother to apply the policy and since Windows 2000 computers ignore WMI
> Filters anyway then it would only apply to those that I want it to apply
> to.
>

> When I try to create the WMI Script, when I click on save I get an error
> message that says "a syntax error occurred trying to evaluate a query
> string".
>

> I have pasted the script below.  I created this script using a WMI Code
> Creator that I downloaded off the Web.  Can anyone help?
>

> strComputer = "."
>
> Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer &
> "\root\CIMV2")
>
> Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery( _
>
>     "SELECT * FROM Win32_OperatingSystem WHERE Caption = 'Microsoft
> Windows 2000 Professional'",,48)
>
> For Each objItem in colItems

>     Wscript.Echo "Win32_OperatingSystem instance"

>     Wscript.Echo "Caption: " & objItem.Caption
>
> Next

[truncated by sender]