[gps-talkusers] Re: unique and interesting points of interest

  • From: Jamie Adams <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 11:47:48 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I was going through my email today and found Mike's email about Blind Miner's
Road.  He saw this road in the GPS database while heading up to a ski resort in
Salt Lake City.  I decided to google this, and found an interesting article
about the Blind Miner that this road seems to be named after.  It would be very
cool if we had historical content like this attached to our points of
interest.  If you are interested in reading the article, I have copied the text
below.

Jamie

http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/pioneers_and_cowboys/ablindmanandhisharp.html
A Blind Man and His Harp
Lyndia Carter
History Blazer, March 1996
Wherever Thomas Giles went, music traveled with him. Crowds gathered to hear
this master coax lovely melodies from his harp. He was much in demand
throughout northern Utah, and nowhere was his music more welcome than in
Brigham Young's home. His talent and skill were unusual, but there was
something else that made Giles special: he could not read music because he had
no sight. His music came from his heart and carried the tones of troubles and
triumphs, mourning and merriment. He earned fame as the blind harpist of Utah.
Born and raised in Wales, Giles made his living as a coal miner, a very
hazardous occupation then. In 1848 a large piece of coal fell on him, causing
severe head injuries and leaving him totally blind. Yet, a month later he was
up and carrying out his duties for the Mormon church, often guided from place
to place by a family friend, the widow Hannah Evans Bowen. Sometime after the
accident Mormons in Wales gave him a harp as a gift of love and respect. He
learned to play it skillfully. In 1856, 36-year-old Giles and his wife Margaret
decided to emigrate with their children Joseph, Hyrum, and Maria, ages 9, 7,
and 1.
With limited financial resources the family had to travel with a handcart
company. Seventeen pounds was the limit for personal belongings on the carts,
so most likely the harp was left behind to be freighted to Utah later. Sorrow
struck again when little Maria became sick and died. The Gileses were part of
the Edward Bunker company of handcarts, composed almost entirely of immigrants
from Wales. Despite the difficulties of handcart travel, music was part of the
Welsh soul, and the people often burst into merry song as they walked. Blind as
he was, Thomas pulled and sang with the rest. Alfred Reese, his partner with
the cart, led the way for him. However, troubles followed them westward. Not
far from Fort Laramie, Margaret gave birth to baby Elizabeth, but neither
mother nor child would survive. Then, because of Thomas's blindness, his two
boys were sent back along the trail to join the Hunt wagon company with which
some Welsh immigrants were traveling.
 Friends of Giles would care for Joseph and Hyrum.
Alone, grief-stricken, and concerned about his sons, Giles traveled on. As they
neared Fort Bridger he became seriously ill. For a couple of days the group
delayed for him, but when the captain felt there was no hope for his recovery,
they left him in camp with two men to bury him. Giles had heard that Mormon
Apostle Parley P. Pratt was coming east. Hoping to be healed, Giles was
determined to stay alive until he could see Pratt, whom he had met in Wales.
Pratt arrived and blessed Giles, who regained his health, caught up with the
company, and entered Salt Lake Valley on October 2, 1856.
Meanwhile, snow was about to delay the Hunt wagon company, traveling with the
Martin handcart company. Hannah Evans Bowen, immigrating with her daughter Ann,
took responsibility for Joseph and Hyrum Giles during the terrible storms that
left the two companies snowbound. Though emaciated and frostbitten, the boys
survived the tragedy that took so many lives and were able to rejoin their
father. Hannah, who had cuddled the boys in her long skirts to keep them warm,
suffered severely frostbitten feet. She remained with the Giles family as a
housekeeper at first and then as wife and mother. She became Thomas's eyes.
They had one son, Henry Evans Giles.
To make a living, Giles's hobby became an occupation. He used a harp owned by
Brigham Young until his own harp arrived. Young gave him a letter of
introduction that allowed him to travel through the settlements giving
concerts. Large audiences came to hear him play the harp and sing hymns and
popular songs. Admission cost whatever the people could contribute. Luke Gallup
attended a concert in Springville, paying in wheat, and felt that Giles had
entertained them well for it. Giles also played and sang at dances, socials,
and church services. Sometimes the family traveled as far north as the Mormon
settlements in Idaho, but for many years Ogden was home, since Thomas's mother
and a sister lived there. In Ogden he was the leader of community singing,
particularly of popular songs. In October 1869 he led the Tabernacle Choir
during the Weber Stake Conference. Later the family moved to Salt Lake City.
Brigham Young especially enjoyed his music, and Giles
 often played for parties and social functions at the Beehive House, the Social
Hall, and occasionally the Salt Lake Theatre. When Thomas's harp was
accidentally damaged beyond repair, Brigham Young replaced it with a valuable
new one now on display at the DUP Museum in Salt Lake City.
Music was a family affair. His sons traveled and performed with him. Hyrum
played the violin to accompany his father on the harp. Later, Henry, who
learned the violin from his brother, joined the ensemble. Henry also played the
piano and organ. Joseph, Hyrum, Henry, and Thomas all sang beautifully as well.
Their concerts and dances provided the family income. After a concert the
chairs were moved to the edges of the hall and dancing would begin. The Gileses
provided the music and "called" the dances, brightening many a pioneer evening.
Thomas and Hannah spent their twilight years with Henry's large family in Provo
where Henry taught music. On November 2, 1895, the harp became silent; the
blind harpist had died at age 75. Thomas Davis Giles gave to Utah his musical
skill and provided entertainment for its citizens, but, more important, he left
a legacy of personal courage and resilience.
Sources: Andrew Jenson, LDS Biographical Encyclopedia, vol. 2 (Salt Lake City,
1914); Kate B. Carter, comp., Heart Throbs of the West, vol. 10 (Salt Lake
City, 1949); Ruby K. Smith, John D. Giles, Modern Trail Blazer (n.p., 1961);
Dorothy Giles Topham, "Thomas Davis Giles ('The Blind Harpist') and Hannah
Evans," Helen Sharp Madsen, "Thomas Davis Giles of Blenavon, Monmouthshire,
England," MSS in LDS Church Archives; Luke Gallup, "Reminiscences and Diary of
Luke Gallup," MS in Lee Library, Brigham Young University; interview of Henry
E. Giles by Harold H. Jenson

Jamie Adams
Sendero Group
"The GPS Company." Featuring Sendero GPS on the BrailleNote, as well as Sense
Nav and the new Mobile Geo for Windows Mobile devices.  Also distributing
Trekker, Victor Stream, KNFB Mobile Reader, Talks, Mobile Speak, Tiger
embossers, Miniguide and ID Mate

888-757-6810 ext. 109
jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx