[gps-talkusers] the internal GPS receiver on the Braille Sense OnHand

  • From: Vicky Collins <v-collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:26:49 -0400

I just unpacked my Braille Sense OnHand this Saturday, so haven't done a lot
with it yet.  But, since I did ask about the internal GPS receiver on this list
before, I figured I would report my initial findings.

Actually, the receiver worked better than I expected.  First, just for the fun
of it, I tried getting a signal while here in my apartment.  Although, as I
kind of figured, with both my Holux M 1000 and the internal receiver, I got no
signal after waiting several minutes with each.  (Oh, I did get the I-Blue
receiver with my OnHand, but am still using the Holux with my devices right
now, as it works so well and it is just a tad smaller.)

Next, I tried to pick up satellites with both of my receivers while out on the
balcony of my apartment.  And, i was able to get a signal with the Holux within
just a minute or so, came up with the corner where my apartment building is
located, in fact.  But, again even after several minutes, I couldn't get a fix
with the internal receiver.

Finally, though, I took the OnHand for a short walk outside.  And, before I had
even gotten around the corner of the building where I live, the internal
receiver had started receiving satellites and reported my correct intersection.
 So, I walked around the block with the unit, and the GPS signal and my
location were maintained all the while.

Then, as I just couldn't resist trying again when I got back home, I went out
on the balcony and was then able to pick up satellites and my location with the
internal GPS receiver.  And, for that matter, once I had gotten the signal
outside on the balcony, I could then go inside and start the GPS program and
the satellites and my location were then picked up in my apartment as well.

Oh, grin, and I'm not really surprised; but, when I went out on the balcony
this morning using the internal receiver, guess it had lost some of its memory
as to where I had walked yesterday.  For, although I did get satellites within
a couple of minutes, my location was reported to be a block over from the
actual location of my building.  The Holux, though, picked up my exact corner
within just seconds of my connecting.