[gps-talkusers] sing GPS with outdated maps

  • From: Peggy Kern <kernsac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:20:30 -0700

Hi, all.  We're visiting my sister-in-law in Washington.  She lives in a new
development in the city which isn't on the current GPS maps.  I labeled her
house as a point of interest last night, even though the streets in the area
weren't recognized.  Today my husband and I were out and about, and when we
were trying to get back to my sister-in-law's house, I decided to try making a
route.  It didn't seem to be of any use, but what did prove useful was marking
my sister-in-law's house as a destination, then checking the destination to see
if we were getting closer.  My husband had to call his sister to get directions
to get us into the right area, but she had to hang up before we actually got
there.  So I kept checking the destination when we were almost there.  My
husband couldn't tell exactly where to turn, but by using the destination
command to check how far we were from it, I could tell him when he'd apparently
passed it, and eventually got him to turn on the right street
  by telli
ng him we were getting closer to the destination.  So even with its outdated
maps, there are a lot of ways to use GPS.

Peggy