[gps-talkusers] self driving car, some history

  • From: Gil Lutz <gil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 10:52:36 -0400

Hi All,

Here's some "ancient" history on the self driving car thread. I drove a car on the GM test grounds in the 60s that was able to "drive itself". This was before GPS and was controlled by implanted cables in and around the roadway. It was very basic but I believe it was the first vehicle capable of driving without any input from the driver. Some time after that I was in a vehicle, again GM, that was capable of driving on regular highways without driver input. Most recently I was involved in a project that used a GPS based system to assist in keeping me "between the lines".

We're all looking forward, including our sighted partners, to a high degree of automation in vehicle travel. The goal is for much greater safety and convenience.

Keep tuned.

Gil

At 07:27 PM 3/31/2008, you wrote:

Well, there is the DARPA project which pays one million or maybe it is 10 million for the autonomous vehicle which can complete a 200 mile course without a driver. They used to do it in the dessert but they did it this year including city traffic. A couple vehicles made the entire trip.

Here's something I got from another list that I thought was interesting.

Bethnfb-talk@xxxxxxxxxx
----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>