[gps-talkusers] Re: re forecasting the future

  • From: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 18:22:49 -0800

Hi,
A number of factors: cost, functionality, portability, flexibility, role and trends. Cost, because we all know the high cost and these devices because of market and parts (braille display components are the most expensive). Role, because notetakers are really nothing more than specialized terminals, rather traditional ones are. Trend, because from observation, people prefer smaller and wireless ways of connecting to computers. PAC Mate, when viewed from development and usability point of view, is just a customized HP pocket PC with keyboard and speech on top, with customized JAWS taylored to this new hardware and OS characteristics. The main rival was, and still is (for now), Mobile Speak and its partner, Mobile Geo. Orion (the newer one) is nothing more than a conventional Android tablet with braille input/output and speech system and customized apps suite. Other notetakers are specialized tablets or terminals with braille input/output and speech. The below statement that I made came as an opinion piece after observing the market and user groups for a while: that notetakers are, in fact, specialized computers or computerized equipment with braille terminal functionality, comparable to functionality of the tablets of today; instead of touchscreen, these notetakers use braille input and output. And when we examine tech specs and observe functionality of these notetakers more closely, we can discover that the specs are that of a mid-range phone of 2010 to today, with alternative means of communicating with the outside world. Hence the argument from some groups that, with similar specs and with advances in software,, notetakers are now "almost" equal to mainstream technologies (including GPS) in hardware specs and basic functionality. Coupled with this trend, plus flexibility with wireless technologies would soon blur the distinction between a notetaker of today and basic tablet of today in the form of more portable and affordable wireless braille displays, which would be (in my opinion) the final step in transitioning to mainstream mode of communication, replacing almost all the roles of the traditional notetaker (which has already happened). Thus, in summary, some of us can safely conclude that, since notetakers are just tablets with alternative input and output system and since the trend says more wireless communication, then we can say that the next mode of communication would be a tablet with wireless braille terminal providing braille output and "simulated" braille input (I say simulated here, because braille input is ultimately governed by the OS on the tablet and the braille display driver/screen reader). In connection with GPS, a good example would be various solutions out there for iOS devices and a range of wireless braille displays availible. And yes, I do understand that using touchscreen may mean approaching a screen layout from visual point of view (which I know is hard to describe to some people).
Again sorry for all the tech rants.  Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph