[gps-talkusers] over 15 million points of interest

  • From: Michael May <mikemay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GPS-talkusers-freelists.org" <GPS-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 09:55:50 -0700

One of the most significant aspects of any GPS program is the data content.
Sendero is constantly working to increase the data content as evidenced by the
new maps in version 4 as well as increased number of points of interest.

We have just added over 2 million points of interest on top of the 13 million
points in the U.S. already included with your product. This is 10 times the
number of points contained on a Trekker system or on commercial GPS products.
We have points in 50 categories, knowing that blind people want location
information for more than just travel categories like restaurants and hotels.

There are now 4 POI zip files on the Sendero download page including the
collective User zip file. Install these and see what is new in your area. As we
indicate, some may be duplicates since we are drawing from multiple databases
but my theory is that I would rather have a duplicate if it means I will have
unique points as well.

In order to decide if you want a particular POI file in your folder or not, you
can learn which file a POI is from by pressing the detailed POI command and
then looking at the letters at the end of the POI details. Individual user
points will have a person's initials. Other POIs will have the corresponding
filename in the details.

We were happy to greatly increase the data content for Europe in version 4 and
we are working to increase the POI content even more. The Sendero price list
and shopping cart indicates which countries are currently available. Other
countries in Europe can be added as there is demand.

As some famous person has most certainly said, "information is power."