[gps-talkusers] help please: a bunch of problems

  • From: Alex Parks <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Gps List <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 16:08:50 -0500

Hello all,

I am having problems with my system. I have a BrailleNote mPower and use the Blue Logger receiver.

Today, the first beautiful day in Maine practically all year, my mobility instructor and I were playing around with the GPS downtown. It took the system a while to figure out which street I was on. After it had my position, I planned a route. For some reason, even though all the streets have sidewalks, it would only let me do a vehicle route. So we started off. The first street we came to was perpendicular, and it wanted me to turn right. I checked again, and yes, still right. Knowing that was exactly opposite of where I wanted to go, I took a left. It then told me to take a right again, on "unnamed". That unnamed street was a smallish path through a little park. A car would have been hard pressed to make it.

Many more instances like that happened, plus it told me to take that right and continue straight. I did, and at the next intersection it said I was supposed to turn around and go back PAST the street on which I had started, only to go along the street I had just followed. (Force sequential waypoint following was off this whole time.) The BN also liked to tell me that I started at WP 4, and jumped to 7, and it just kept skipping around like that.

Another route proved to have the same problems, except that this one wanted me to go a block up, parallel a street, then go back down and continue.

I have not had much success with this system ever since I got it. It is my first one, and I thought, from hearing so many wonderful things about it, it would actually be able to tell me where to go. The more I use it, the less I like and trust it. If I were in a strange place, I do not doubt for a second that I would get hopelessly lost.

Sorry, Sendero. I know it works for many people, but I guess I am just lucky. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks for listening to me just go on, and on.

Have a great day all,
Alex