[gps-talkusers] Re: another new GPS receiver

  • From: Mike Arrigo <n0oxy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 00:18:55 -0600

I think the qstarz 818 uses the surf star 3, not sure on that one though. I have one receiver here that uses that, the globalsat 359 I think it is, seems to work really well, though not as accurate as the MTK receivers. That's interesting that you mentioned updated firmware for the receiver, is that common? I have never seen new firmware for any of my receivers, so I wonder if that happens frequently.

On Mar 2, 2009, at 11:50 PM, Kevin Chao wrote:

It would be interesting to see your thoughts on the qStarz 890. Prior to using the Holux M-1000, I was asked to test the qStarz Q818. This receiver looked excellent or even better than the Holux M-1000 on paper. However, when putting the receiver to test while walking, it was more lacking in this area as there were speed issues, heading issues and tracking issues. There were a number of times where it reported I was walking at above 100 MPH,
incorrect and inconsistent heading and position information. The issue
wasn't that much of an issue after firmware made by qStarz but they were
still there when walking below 3.3 MPH/5KMH.

As far as the update frequency, this tells how the receiver how often to update information, such as position, speed and heading, which are the main components of a GPS receiver. With the default setting of 1HZ, this tells the receiver to give speed, heading and position information once a second, where 5HZ tells the receiver to get this information five times a second. Determining the best setting will depend on if the receiver is giving good or bad data in all variants, which varies from walking to above 500 MPH. If the data is quality then it would be better to have a higher refresh rate. This is most useful when using the Sendero GPS as there are different ways the heading can be averaged, such as Instantaneous which takes the raw value at once a second. It will take the best value within the five values that
the receiver took in during that second.