[gps-talkusers] V3 Poi's Are Fantastic!

  • From: "Rich Irwin" <rich.irwin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Gps-Talkusers" <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:51:04 -0700

I just got back from a little exploration of the area around where I live.
I live near a river and found that:
1) the shoreline is 384 feet from my front door.
2) there is a poi labeled "unknown" 0.85 miles Northeast.  When I press Ctrl
+ I it tells me "unknown 0.0 meters depth wrecks and obstruction marine 0.85
miles Northeast"
3) There is a poi labeled "r20fl.r.4fs" and again when I press Ctrl + I it
reads "r20fl.4fs fixed navig marine 0.93 miles Northeast".
I do not think I will be using these poi's, as I do not walk on water, but
it sure would be a help if I were in a boat.

The information for most poi's seems to be more than one could find on the
particular sites website, if they even had one.  There are always
inaccuracies, but that will always happen, as businesses come and go.
Especially restaurants.  After 3 years of using various versions of the
GPS-Talk system, the version 3 maps finally have one of my favorite
restaurants identified.  Of course, they went out of business yesterday!

Mike, Charles, and all - the improvements are fantastic!
Rich Irwin
rich.irwin@xxxxxxxxxxx