[gps-talkusers] Re: User POIS Strange Story

  • From: "Kevin Chao" <g.unit89@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:30:45 -0700

Joleen,

Great problem solving there!

1.  Where did that POI get stored?
The POI didn't really get stored anywhere. It seemed to be saved in the
program, but once you exit and try to look for the POI  again, it will not
show up.

2.  How did the GPS know that my virtual position was the bus
stop when the maps were loaded yet it did not know it from the
fact that it was a POI?
It is possible that after marking the POI that you set your virtual position
to the POI. If this was done, the POI name will stay intact even if your POI
list is gone.

3.  On a similar note, when, in the past, I have used the Control
G to set my virtual position to the GPS position, why has it ask
for a name for that position?  Where does that name get stored?
Is it like creating a POI?
This is similar to creating a POI but it isn't searchable in the future. All
it really does is gives you some point of reference and a name for your
virtual position. This is nice so that you don't hav to wonder what your
virtual position is.

4.  I tried to take the easy way out when recording the latitude
and longitude values.  Control C copied it to the clipboard, but
control v did not paste it.  I went to Keyword and was able to
paste the information there until I could make a hard copy.
Would there have been a way to paste the latitude and longitude
positions without retyping them from within the GPS program?  In
my case, the program knew I was virtually there with or without
the maps.
At the moment there isn't a way of pasting coordinates directly into the
system. But this would make an excellent feature for the future

It isn't required to rerecord POIs if your accuracy only differed in a few
feet as with GPS signals bouncing the point may be dead on one day aand 30
feet off the next day. This can happen even if you have 15 feet of accuracy
both times.

Kevin