[gps-talkusers] Situation 11

  • From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GPS-talkusers-freelists.org" <GPS-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:41:42 -0700

Situation 11
I was headed to a hospital in San Francisco to visit my mother, which I had never been to before. I had several public transportation options and it was raining hard.

Question 11
What transportation would get me most efficiently to the hospital and how would I navigate on the street without getting the BrailleNote wet?

Answer 11
I set the hospital's address, 45 Castro Street, as a virtual location. From Virtual mode and I searched for the nearest POI in the Train category. The 16th and Mission BART station was closest. I knew that a taxi ride from the Amtrak stop would be expensive so I took Amtrak to Richmond and switched to BART there. I pulled up the BART stations from a route file I had previously created and counted the number of stops since I couldn't hear them being announced

I ended up with a 1.3 mile walk from the BART stop to the hospital and partially up hill. I jumped on the first bus that came along and asked the driver to drop me off as close to my destination as possible, which turned out to be about 6 blocks from the hospital. The GPS was tracking great, even inside the bus and it was easy to see I was getting closer and where to get off the bus.

When I got off the bus it was poring rain so I stepped into a doorway to explore my remaining route to the hospital. I set my Explore position to my GPS position with Chord G. I then set a route to my destination and studied the route. I learned that I had 5 streets to cross on my side of Duboce street before I reached Castro. I did this simply by advancing from block to block with the Chord dots 2356 on the PK. I then pressed M for Multiple repeat and D for destination. I turned the volume up and zipped the PK inside my jacket. I knew to count 5 blocks and I could just hear the PK talking inside my jacket, protected from the rain.

Besides hearing my destination announced, each intersection was announced as I approached it. Once I heard that friendly announcement that I had reached my destination, the tricky part was finding the correct entrance to the hospital. For the first time on this trip, I asked a sighted person for directions. Before going inside, I marked the entrance as a POI for future reference. When I walked into my mother's room, I felt like a little kid, fitting a puzzle together as the last piece snapped into place.

Michael G. May

CEO Sendero Group

Developers and distributors of BrailleNote GPS
Distributing BrailleNote, VoiceNote, Miniguide, The Tissot Silen-T tactile watch, Talks cell phone software and the ID Mate, bar code reader

MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.SenderoGroup.com

(1-888-757-6810, Fax (530) 757-6830, Mobile (530) 304-0007
Sendero Group, LLC
1118 Maple Lane, Davis, CA 95616-1723, USA

Latitude, 38 33 9.239 North
Longitude, 121 45 40.145 West