[gps-talkusers] Re: Seeing Eye GPS iPhone app?

  • From: Jacob Schmude <j.schmude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 02:10:13 -0700

Hi
Well, a discussion about Apple's openness is a little offtopic for this list,
but in the long run I think they will have to open up a little. They're trying
to increase their foothold in the enterprise, and many corporations do not wish
to submit their private, in-house applications to Apple. As for Android, I
would like this as well. The more options we have, the better. There are,
however, several factors that will determine if this is even possible:
1. Is Sendero's map engine of choice available as an SDK on Android?
2. Is there enough demand? There aren't a lot of blind Android users at the
moment, primarily because Android's accessibility is nowhere near the level of
iOS. It's getting better, certainly, but slowly. Note that I have both an
iPhone and an Android phone so I can keep up with changes in it.
3. Android's platform is rather fragmented between devices, sizes, custom
carrier-supplied rom images, etc. This can increase the cost of development
drastically, and makes debugging difficult on phones that the developers don't
have. That's one advantage that iOS has, there is only one iOS and, if you
write the app properly (and I have every reason to believe Sendero will) then
it will run on anything from an iPhone 3GS to the iPad 3 without trouble.
Contrast this to Android, where an app written primarily on, for example, the
HTC desire Z can have unforseen issues running on the Samsung Galaxy S3 due to
slight differences in the versions of Android that each device has. Even if the
version numbers are the same, phone companies have a tendency to slap a lot of
customized APIs and services on to their Android firmware. In addition,
carriers such as Sprint or Verizon can, and do,  further modify the phone's
default firmware.