[gps-talkusers] SENDERO VS TOM-TOM

  • From: "Steven Bingham" <steven.bingham1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:39:56 +0100

Hi all

I have recently come to appreciate just how much work has gone into producing
the Sendero application.

My wife has recently acquired a Tom-tom GPS for the car. The first thing to be
said is that it is much more limited in its application than the Sendero. It
does not have a route planning or exploring function. It can only create routes
from the current position. It is very good at creating new routes if you miss a
turning.

The Tom-tom software also appears to do some filtering of the positional
information that it receives from the satalites. For example, it never gives
you a position off a road - even when you are off a road - there must be some
correction mechanism that makes assumptions and always relates them back to a
road.

I was expecting to be out of a job for route planning when we are on holidays
but Sendero can still beat the Tom-tom and help with the planning.

Steve