[gps-talkusers] RNIB Navigator in Germany

  • From: Sandra Pilz <sandra914481@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 12:50:31 +0200

Hi,

I learnt that RNIB Navigator now works in Germany, France, and Spain, too, so bought a months's subscription to try it.

Currently I am not very impressed.
There are serious problems with the German localization of the App, the worst being that the accented caracters (Umlaute) are not displayed correctly, instead you hear weird characters being announced, this can be quite distracting. I assume this happened because the encoding of the translated strings hasn't been checked, but this could have been spotted if the localization had been beta tested. Also there are serious and misleading translation mistakes. I don't want to go into this here, but I would be happy to provide more details off list.

Intersections aren't announced at all. This is what people on Email discussion lists have been most disappointed about, because a reason to try RNIB Navigator is to have more detailed intersection descriptions than BlindSquare provides, but currently BlindSquare is definitely the better choice here. Most reports about RNIB Navigator on mailing lists include the info that intersections weren't announced at all, so I assume it currently simply doesn't work here.

The turn-by-turn instructions are nice, and I also find the sounds helpful.
I really like the clean interface.

Best

Sandra

"unsubscribe" in the Subject.