[gps-talkusers] Re: Problem loading maps onto PCMCIA Microdrive

  • From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 11:34:16 -0700

John,

A maximum of 12 maps can be loaded at a time. I think you'll find that with
8 to 12 maps loaded, operations can get sluggish. I recommend turning off
Look-Around mode with Chord M when you have a lot of maps loaded.

Here is what we say in the ReadMe.

Mike

If you wish to arrange maps regionally, here is a suggested arrangement.

Maps Organized Regionally
Maps 1 West: 12 maps
Arizona, *4 California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah,
Washington

Maps2 Midwest: 10 maps
Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, *2 Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota,
South Dakota, Wyoming

Maps3 South Central: 9 maps
Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, *4 Texas

Maps4 Central East: 12 maps
*2 Illinois, Indiana, *2 Michigan, *2 Ohio, *2 Pennsylvania, Virginia, West
Virginia, Wisconsin

Maps5 Southeast: 8 maps
Alabama, *2 Florida, *2 Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee

Maps6 Northeast: 12 maps
Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire,
New Jersey, *2 New York, Rhode Island, Vermont

Maps7 Offshore: 4 maps
Alaska, Guam, Hawaii, Puerto Rico

At 10:50 AM 7/1/2004, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>         Since I'm traveling tomorrow, I decided to load a bunch of maps
>onto my 5GB Toshiba Microdrive today.  Naturally, I'm having a problem.
>I loaded 19 maps onto my microdrive, but only 12 were being seen.  I
>deleted two of the ones being seen, and I still saw 12 maps (including
>two that I hadn't seen before).
>
>         I've been using a laptop to copy map files from CD-ROM to PCMCIA
>card and made a few mistakes along the way.  Hence I wound up copying
>folders then moving the files from the folders up into the main
>directory and deleteing folders.  Has anyone seen anything like this?
>I'd really like to be able to load a bunch of maps on my card and have
>never heard of this sort of limitation before.  What might I be doing
>wrong and how can I correct it?
>
>John
>

>John R. Mattioli, Jr.
>Senior Software Engineer
>Kurzweil Educational Systems, Inc.

Michael G. May

CEO Sendero Group

Developers and distributors of BrailleNote GPS
Now distributing BrailleNote, VoiceNote, Miniguide, The Tissot Silen-T
tactile watch and the ID Mate, bar code reader

MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.SenderoGroup.com

(530) 757-6800, Fax (530) 757-6830, Mobile (530) 304-0007
Sendero Group, LLC
1118 Maple Lane, Davis, CA 95616-1723, USA

Latitude, 38 33 9.239 North
Longitude, 121 45 40.145 West