[gps-talkusers] Mike's Costa Rican experience

  • From: Kim Casey <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:53:52 -0800

Hello everyone,
Mike asked me to send his blog journal entries directly to the list and
save you the hassle of going to the website.  There will be two for
today.  If you would like to view the journal blog directly visit
http://www.senderogroup.com/blog.htm.
Enjoy and happy holidays.

Off To Costa Rica by Mike May

Dec. 15, 2004
The trip from San Francisco to San Jose Costa Rica ended up being 20 hours
door-to-door, 9 hours flying time and 11 hours other transit time, such as
waiting for delayed flights.

We connected through Washington Dulles and flew from there, South 198
degrees. The Blue Logger GPS worked beautifully in the window of the Bowing
757. I was amused as we flew along the North and South Carolina coast to
here a number of user points from Michael Beukenkamp pop up, such as
Grandma and Grandpa's house in Smyrna. I had San Jose Costa Rica set as my
destination and painfully felt the hours and miles slide by, kind of like
watching a pot boil.

The only commercial points of interest in Costa Rica were in the city
category. This was handy at least for getting a sense of the distance and
direction to the different places we were planning to visit, especially
because our guide showed my family on a print map where things were. I
switched my GPS units from imperial to metric units to be in keeping with
the local custom. I was unfortunately not able to switch to a Spanish
synthesizer.