[gps-talkusers] GPS unit for extended field work

  • From: "Richard Myers" <dkmyers28@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:34:07 +0900

Hello, Shelly,
One GPS receiver that impresses me is the Magellan Sport Trak or however you spell it. I think it has about 500 waypoints capability, which seems to be about the high end for small hand-held units. It is waterproof, but I do not know about an external antenna. Why would you want one? The unit will draw a picture of your route, but no GPS can create waypoints until someone presses the button. However, since the picture exists, you can set the unit cursor onto any part of the trail and get the coordinates of that place.

I would recommend that you buy one, it is not expensive, and use it until you are familiar with how GPS receivers work. Then, you will have a much better idea of what you can have and what you are going to have to change to fit the parameters of the system.

Good luck

Dick Myers

From: "Shelly Szepanski"
To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Looking for GPS unit for extended field work
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:10:18 +0000

I'm new to the list, so my apologies if a similar topic has been covered recently...

I'm looking for recommendations for a GPS unit that can be used outdoors that 1) is hand-held sized, 2) has ~3000 or more track points to create a 'trail', 3) has a rechargeable battery, 4) can take an external antenna, and 5) is reasonably waterproof. It's important that the unit store the locations until I retrieve the unit - I won't have the ability to communicate with a unit interactively (e.g., like you could with a Bluetooth receiver and PDA...).

Does such a unit exist?

Many thanks!

(8):[(8)