[gps-talkusers] Re: GPS receivers

  • From: Jacob Schmude <j.schmude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 06:34:49 -0800

Hi Mike
I can answer that. iOS compatible Bluetooth gps receivers use an Apple-specific
protocol that is completely separate from the serial-based protocol used by
other receivers. This protocol is created and licensed by Apple and, from what
I've found out from Bad-Elf, actually comes on a proprietary chip that is used
when constructing these receivers. Those who make the receivers know how to
communicate with this protocol chip (a firmware API) but don't actually
implement the protocol themselves. This protocol is iOS-specific and therefore
does not work with any other devices. If you want to use a standard Bluetooth
receiver with your iPhone that does not implement this protocol, you'll need to
jailbreak and install an app that performs the same function as Android's
Bluetooth GPS app, i.e. passes the information from the external receiver into
CoreLocation which then obscures the data from the internal receiver. However,
none of these apps are free and paying for an app that only runs on a
jailbroken device is a bad investment, which is why I purchased a Bad-Elf Pro
Bluetooth receiver. It has the same MTK2 chipset as the iBlue 737A+ and 747 and
an excellent antenna giving me the same accuracy I enjoyed with my iBlue, but
has the Apple protocol chip.