[gps-talkusers] Re: External GPS Receivers for the iPhone

  • From: Jacob Schmude <j.schmude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:56:41 -0700

Andy,
You are incorrect. There are bluetooth gps receivers that are designed
specifically for the iPhone or other iOS devices. As I've already stated
though, I don't believe them to be worth the price. Some product pages for you:
http://www.amazon.com/GNS-5870-MFI-Receiver-iPhone/dp/B004289ZW0
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006M49G80/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004289ZW0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=07HVPJN17WTDE036NN14

The second one seems to be the better of the two, but I've still not been able
to find out which GPS chipset is used in these. These are the two I know of,
along with one other that is apparently a wearable armband, but I forgot the
name of that one and a quick google didn't turn it up. I wouldn't advise using
any of the dock-connected GPS solutions even if they will work on the iPhone,
as that dock connector is flimsy to put it mildly and, if you do a lot of
traveling, it's only a matter of time before either the connector on the GPS or
the one on your iPhone gives out.

hth