[gpodder-devel] upgrading my linux system and oops!

  • From: johncrwarner at yahoo.co.uk (John Warner)
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:47:58 +0100

Hi there,

This is another nobrainer from me. The situation is this:

I have moved from my linux system to Xubuntu 7.10 and I thought I had
collected everything:

I had moved the download location to my backup drive, I had copied the
favorites into a file and taken a copy of gpodder.conf.

Now Xubuntu is running 0.9.4 from the repository and it seems that I was
using an older version before - sorry I don't know which.

So favorites which I saved as a txt file (pass on why I did this) has
the format
# name of podcast
http://feed.for.the.podcast

and 0.9.4
Has the an xml format channels.xml

No problem - I have loaded the ones I wanted back into gpodder - editing
channels.xml was the easiest way to do it and it picked up the files in
the right place - I returned the download to the computer.

Now it seems that it brought ALL of the files in the download folder
back across - so I would like to weed out the old ones I don't want
anymore.

The question is - how do I interpret the encoded directories - is there
a decoding system to read something - I don't care that they are stored
like that - it is a good idea especially as I receive podcasts in a
variety of languages. I just need to be able to decypher them - is there
a trick to it I should know?

John
who is currently transferring 6 GB of files more than half of which are
redundant.