[gpodder-devel] id3 tag library

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 22:09:00 +0100

Hi all,

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 09:12:33PM +0100, Bernd wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-01-05 at 01:25 +0200, Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:
> > ti, 2011-01-04 kello 14:49 -0800, Tim Gilbert kirjoitti:
> > > Sorry, as an addendum this was the library that I found to be the most
> > > appealing, mutagen.
> > > It is pure python and is available the GPLv2 (which I assume is
> > > compatible with gpodder's GPLv3):
> >
> > AFAIK mutagen is GPLv2 only (not GPLv2 or later) which makes it
> > incompatible with the GPLv3. I guess we could ask someone who actually
> > knows this stuff, though ;)
> >

> Today I found another library/programm which seems to handle audio tags
> http://audiotools.sourceforge.net/programming/index.html
>
> The License is "GPL v2 or later" as mentioned on pypi
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/audiotools/2.13

I'd much rather like to have all the tag-editing stuff be implemented
via the hooks mechanism, which would allow users to combine packages
with different licenses locally.

Also, now that we have the hooks mechanism, I want to keep the gPodder
"core" smaller than previously, because I don't want to maintain the
fully-featured all-included podcast client, but rather a small, stable
core of your beloved podcatcher where stuff like ID3/Vorbis tagging
added on top for power users. Ideally, the hooks mechanism (or whatever
it is it grows into) should become the "plugin" system of gPodder and
features should be implemented that way.

If anybody wants to start a spin-off project for providing tagging
functionality as a hooks script, that'd be great :) Maybe this script
could be a candidate for Bernd's hooks repo?