[gpodder-devel] gpodder on n810 and video podcasts

  • From: thp at gpodder.org (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:35:54 -0700

You wrote:
> What do you guys do to watch videos in maemo after gpodder downloads
> them? I downloaded one but it was unplayable with very low FPS.
>
> I was using n810's built in player. I will install and try Mplayer
> later. There was also a low quality version of the podcast which I
> will try.
>
> Mplayer's website suggested a converter for maemo (which I might also
> try if I need to) but I wanted to know what procedure people in the
> mailing list use currently.

I personally use MPlayer for video playback (set the "videoplayer"
config
option to "mplayer" after you've installed mplayer), as in my opinion,
it seems to work best for most video files.

Even if transcoding was possible directly on the tablets, the fact that
playback is not possible in realtime means that transcoding would take
at
least as long as the duration of the video in question, so I don't know
if you would want to do the conversion directly on the tablet.

There are some possibilities, like writing a web service that will do
the conversion for you and return you a tablet-friendly feed.