[gpodder-devel] UI discussion: Update button to top bar? Status bar?

  • From: yo at jorgesuarezdelis.name (Jorge Suárez de Lis)
  • Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 10:32:59 +0200

El s?b, 30-04-2011 a las 14:18 +0200, Thomas Perl escribi?:
> The controls on the top are not that important and can be accessed via
> the menu, and just provide shortcuts, while the "Update" button is
> deemed important enough to have its own place, even when the toolbar
> is
> hidden.

Why? Podcasts will, depending upon your configuration but probably will,
update at statup and every some amount of time automatically. I never
press the update button because I don't need to check for updates.
Automation principle :P

However, I transfer all the new podcasts to my device regularly, one
action that can't be automatized. So I'd even go for a ?transfer all
podcasts? button, I believe it's more important.

The proximity principle is great, but I think this breaks the
consistency, familiarity principles that are also essential to
usability.

Hiding the toolbar is not a problem, because the toolbar is shown by
default. If an user hides it, he knows he loose some controls. It seems
normal to me.

You definitely have your point, I know there's no single solution and
that subjectivity takes an important role here. I only want to expose my
point of view based on my use cases as a real user of this application.

Keep up the good work!

Thank you,
Jorge.