[gpodder-devel] Switch UI languages

  • From: thp at perli.net (Thomas Perl)
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 10:10:25 +0200

Hello, Silvio!

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 03:48:12 -0200
"Silvio Sisto" <sisto.silvio at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone help me change gpodder's language to spanish without
> changing the whole's system language?
> I use Ubuntu in English but would like to run gpodder in spanish just
> to test translation.

That's a good question. Based on your question, I've now added a
"Testing your translation" to the gPodder Wiki that answers your
question:

http://wiki.gpodder.org/wiki/Translator%27s_Guide#Testing_your_translation

===========
If the language you translate for is the language set in your
system/session, all you need to do in your Git checkout is run "make messages"
in your source folder (which will compile the translations to be usable by
gettext), followed by "make test", which will run gPodder from the source
checkout folder.

Testing translations with different system language

Thanks to Silvio Sisto for the initial idea of testing the language
this way and for asking on the Mailing List.

Problem: You have your system running in, say, English and want to test
your translation into, say, Spanish.

Solution:

    * Check if the command sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales already
generates the files for es_ES.UTF-8 (or similiar). If it does, you can
skip the next step.
    * If es_ES.UTF-8 has not been generated, install Spanish language
support via sudo aptitude install language-support-es. This will
install the whole language support for Spanish for all apps
    * In your Git checkout, now run:

make messages
export LANG=es_ES.UTF-8
make test

    * Because you have entered export LANG=es_ES.UTF-8 in an
interactive shell, the rest of the system will not be affected, and
closing down that session will also forget the language setting for
this session.
    * If you don't need the Spanish translation files anymore, and
because you have installed with aptitude, it will remove the dependencies when
uninstalled: sudo aptitude remove language-support-es. This frees up the space
taken by langugage-support-es + its dependencies (as of writing this guide,
that's 66MB)

Feel free to edit the Wiki page to add anything that seems useful for
other translators.

Enjoy,