[gpodder] Re: Podcast downloaded twice at the same time

  • From: Thomas Perl <thp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gpodder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 22:20:07 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 08:46:47PM +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> Using gpodder 2.16 on Ubuntu 11.10

If possible, please use gPodder 2.20 from the gPodder Ubuntu PPA, you
can get the link and instructions on how to add it from this URL:

  http://gpodder.org/downloads

Don't worry that 3.0.1 is not available for Ubuntu yet - it will come
eventually, and for now, 2.20 is okay if you want device syncing.

> A couple of times recently I have had a strange corruption of
> downloaded podcasts.  The downloaded file is twice the length it
> should be and consists of two copies of the programme interleaved
> every few seconds, so when listening to it a few seconds of the
> programme is heard and then repeated, and then the next few seconds
> and again repeated.
>
> I guess that this may be the result of two downloads happening at the
> same time.  There were a couple of error messages (that I did not note
> carefully, sorry) that may have corresponded to downloading these
> episodes.
> Is this a known issue?  Is it something that I may have caused myself?

No, this isn't a known issue. If this happens again with 2.20, please
file a bug report noting the two episodes that you downloaded and the
podcast feed URL (RSS URL) from which you downloaded the episodes.

You can file bug reports at http://bugs.gpodder.org/

Normally, gPodder takes care of renaming files with duplicate names, but
maybe there was a race condition for which this happened.

HTH :)