[gpodder-devel] Podcast Folder

  • From: carlos.lst at eldiabloenlosdetalles.net (Carlos Moffat)
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 14:11:23 -0400

Hi Thomas,

On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 19:55 +0200, Thomas Perl wrote:
> Hello, Carlos!
>
> Carlos Moffat schrie
> > I'd like to use gpodder as a podcast catcher, but I don't want to use it
> > to play the podcasts. The problem is that with the way the
> > folder/filename naming scheme (using some kind of hash), it's quite hard
> > to find anything using the file manager or a music player (without
> > reading all the files into the library). It would be great if one could
> > store the podcast into folders/filenames that are human-readable.
> First, the explanation: The reason gPodder uses a hash of the URL to
> store its channels and episodes is because you can't rely on titles of
> channels and episodes from RSS feeds (i.e. two episodes with the same
> name or two different podcasts of the same radio station both named
> "Radio Foo Podcast"). Using hashes of URLs resolves this problem - if an
> episode URL is the same, there is no problem with the file name also
> being the same (the same URL should resolve to the same content).

I see. Although the client I'm trying to migrate from (castpodder, which
will die any time now as is no longer being mantained) correctly creates
a folder/episode structure.

> Now, here's the solution to your problem: gPodder has a "sync" feature.
> If you set the sync target to "FS-based MP3 player" and select a local
> folder where you want to store the podcasts, and start the
> synchronization, gPodder will create a "Channel Name/Episode Name.ext"
> directory structure there and copy all files over. This way, you can
> easily browse your podcasts on the filesystem.

MMhh. Doesn't this mean that podcasts will use twice as much space in my
hard drive? This is big no-no as they're already taking 5.2GB.

> Hope that solves your problem and answers your question :)

You tell me :)

> Enjoy,
> Thomas

Cheers,